Dakota Forumz banner

shock absorber reccommendations?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  RalphP 
#1 ·
I have a pretty clean '03 RT with a healthy 5.9 (66k now) that I got a great deal on 3 years ago. I am doing little things as I go to make it a nicer truck, & I am seriously considering upgrading the shocks. This is RWD & not for off road, & it probably won't do any "serious work". My goal is to smooth the ride out if I can. Is this possible with a Dakota? Or is the nature of the beast to ride rough? I may be spoiled, as one of my other trucks is an '02 GMC 1/2 ton that rides like a Caddy. AQre there any recommendations for shocks that would give me a softer ride?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Softer rides for pickups are pretty hard to come by. The GMC is larger than the Dakota which contributes to the soft ride, longer, wider wheel base gives more of a floating sensation. Air ride suspension on the Dakota would help, but it's quite expensive. Just replacing the shocks with oil filled, and replacing any rubber bushings, lowering the tire pressure as well will all contribute to a softer ride, but it's not going to be as soft as the GMC given the Dakota's length.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Caffeine.
That's kind of what I was thinking; that the nature of the beast (small truck) might be a bumpy ride.
The person I bought this from had put tires that (I was told) are lower profile than stock, & I was told that putting the right height tires on may soften things up a bit. The tires are getting close to iffy (as far as inspection goes), so I am going to be going that route pretty quick.
In the mean time, I did go ahead & order Monroe Spectrum shocks to go all the way around. I have discovered that a lot of stuff on that Dodge seem to have worn out or become inop earlier than they should have (in my opinion) for a truck that only has 66k. But that's okay, I got it for a song & it is super clean & it is a blast to drive with that 5.9, so I guess I don't mind too much.

Thanks again for your reply!

#4 ·
Remember that the 2003 is 15 model years old; parts are failing due to age.

And I remember shocks every 10,000 miles ... so 66K isn't bad IMO.

(Mine are going out at about 55,000 miles of highway miles in Lousiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Texas; LA and OK are the ones that really eat it up.)

RwP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.