Dakota Forumz banner

Supercharged '01 4.7 with no/low load dead pedal

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  butchowens 
#1 ·
My 2001 Dakota has recurring dead gas pedal or no throttle response in no load or low load conditions. At a stop it idles fine but often when I step on the gas it may crawl out into traffic and sputter or do nothing or even occasionally just drive normally. The thing is, the truck has a Kenne Bell supercharger so when it acts up and I throttle it to keep it going it'll suddenly catch then boost so I go from blocking traffic to squealing tires and if I back out of the pedal it may sputter again and so on and so on. Once I'm moving it's usually ok except when I'm coasting in traffic low-load it'll dead-pedal on me again. What seems to get or keep it going is enough throttle that the supercharger starts to come into play. I don't know if I'm dealing with a Dodge issue or a Kenne Bell issue or a blend of them. I have had the truck only a couple months. I replaced the missing knock gauge and added Kenne Bell's Boost-a-Pump module to the system to be sure it had the fuel volume to function well. I have it turned on full-time to rule out fuel supply causing my problems. I have removed and cleaned the throttle body, removed and cleaned the IAC from the throttle body, removed and cleaned the Mass Air Flow sensor that KB adds to the system. When it kicks right the truck will get up and move and it runs well when it's not in no or low load driving. The truck will give me codes for both banks running rich and for the rear o2 sensors heater circuits almost as quick as I clear them. I apologize for the length of my story; just want to fill as many blanks as I can. Thanks for reading it all if you got this far and for whatever guidance you may provide...

See less See more
#2 ·
You didn't mention the throttle position sensor (TPS) in your troubleshooting. The PCM depends on the TPS (along with other inputs) to set ignition timing and injector pulse width. If the signal is erratic, i.e., no change until throttle plate is already open, the PCM may not be helping getting off idle.
Get, or borrow, an OBDII tool that can read the TPS values, and see if the change is smooth and consistent with movement of the accelerator pedal.

#4 ·
Thanks. TPS testing will be my next move. I have, and I see it in others too, a tendency to believe I live in some kind of perfect OBD2 world, where every failed or failing component generates a code directly relative to the failed part. But no, if there is a code it only points you in a general direction to a "system", with wires, connections, grounds, relays, circuits etc. I have no TPS codes. I'll add the results to this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.