Dakota Forumz banner

Carrie

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  oldmarine 
#1 ·
I am having no luck finding a replacement for a 2003 Dodge Dakota proportional brake valve for my truck. I live overseas but can have the part shipped to a Florida address. I've tried Ebay, Dodge, and a couple of companies that try to locate used parts. I cannot believe this part is so difficult to find. Is there a similar part in another model that can be adapted by a knowledgeable mechanic?

#2 ·
Carrie, I've got a 2003 3.9L 2WD Dakota, and I don't have a brake proportioning valve on mine. I've checked the parts manual, and none is listed there. Maybe the part you're looking for is called something else. What is the valve supposed to do, and where is it located?

I had a Dodge D50 (Mitsubishi) a while back, and the brake proportioning valve was used to monitor the load in the bed and adjust braking on the rear brakes accordingly. It was mounted on the frame under the pickup bed and had a link to the rear suspension.

#3 ·
I did a little more research - still can't find it in the parts manual, but did find reference to it in my factory service manual (FSM) which covers 2001 to 2003. It doesn't show a picture or state the location, just what it does and how to change it (once you find it). It's called the combination valve in the FSM, as it detects unequal pressures on the two sides of the braking system, as well as proportioning braking to the rear brakes under heavy braking. It has an electrical connection to illuminate the brake light if it detects unequal pressures in the system.

RockAuto carries a proportioning valve for the 2001 Dakota at http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...77,brake+&+wheel+hub,proportioning+valve,1888. It shows for a 111.9" wheelbase (standard cab - not club cab or crew cab). I used the first part number shown on a Google search and it crosses to 1999 - 2002 Dakota models. The second part number, for 4 wheel ABS, crosses to the 2001 Dakota only. Are you sure yours is a 2003? Check your VIN, the tenth digit is the model year (3 = 2003, 2 = 2002, 1 = 2001).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.