Dakota Forumz banner

Rough idle

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  jamesslcx 
#1 ·
I just did a 318 to 360 swap in my 98 dakota. I've had several problems so far with the swap. Along with the 360, I upgraded the transmission to a 46re, the torque converter and transmission are out of a 97 ram 1500 2-wheel drive and the 360 is out of a 99 ram that had a rough idle problem. As I had had to replace the oil pan I went ahead and replaced the rear main seal. While in there I inspected the main bearing and replaced them. Engine has practically all new gaskets minus head and intake gaskets. After I got the engine and transmission into the dakota and got it running it had a rough idle still. Found out that there was something wrong with the distributor cap because cylinder #4 wasn't receiving spark. Replaced cap and the idle smoothed out a little. Did some more research and came across that maybe the cam sensor might be bad. Since I had a good running 318 I could use sensors from I grabbed can sensor and idle air control sensor and even then the idle smoothed a little more, but still has a rough idle. Could anyone help me with brainstorming this or has anyone come across this before?

#4 ·
Update

After getting it into the shop I found out that my #4 cylinder wasn't getting compression. Where as the other 7 were getting 130psi. Did a cylinder leak down test and found out that the intake valve was sticking open. Pulled the valve cover and checked for a bad spring and to see the lift I was getting from the cam. Those checked out, so I pulled the rocker arms. The intake rocker only had a half moon wear pattern where as the exhaust had a full moon wear pattern. Replacing the rocker tomorrow, but as a safety, incase the valve is sticking, I'm going to replace the valve as well. Everything else checked out okay mechanically.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.