Front Suspension Rebuild - DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!
DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!  

Go Back   DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB! > DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - Help Zone - Dodge Dakota Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > 1ST Generation Dodge Dakota: 1987 - 1996 > Suspension
Dodge Ram Dodge Durango Dodge Nitro Jeep
Diesel Forums!
Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Jeep Forum
Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Magnum
Dodge Caliber
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Magnum Forum

Notices

Old 09-09-2017, 12:40 AM
Dodge Dakota Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Dakota SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 1994-1996 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) Magnum V6, 175 hp (130 kW)
Rep:10
Anderson Knight is on a distinguished road
Default Front Suspension Rebuild

Hello Everyone, I am new to this whole forum thing. Thought i would give it a try as I'm doin some DIY suspension work on my 96 Dakota 2WD.

Ok so, Ill start by listing all the parts i know it needs:
- upper and lower control arm bushings
- upper and lower ball joints
- tie rod ends
- sway bar linkages (not sure if thats what you call them)
- struts

Ive got a little bit of experience with minor suspension work on other vehicles. I have watched a bunch of videos online, I've gathered all the necessary tools (i hope), I've got the Haynes manual, and I'm feeling buff. However, i have never used or worked with bushing and ball joint presses. is the lower easier/harder then the upper? Is this something that can be done semi efficiently? or should i save myself the frustration and just replace the whole control arm?

Also where is the best place to get the listed parts?? Online? or can i go to the auto store and get them?

Any ideas, advice, personal experiences, or sources of info is greatly appreciated!
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2017, 02:10 AM
Dodge Dakota Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1988 Dodge Dakota SE
Trim Level: SE
Color: Mostly Blue
Engine: 1987-1991 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) LA V6, 125 hp (93 kW)
Rep:32
RalphP is on a distinguished road

I had to burn out the bushings on my 1988 (same design, I THINK same parts).

I also pushed in poly bushings upper and lower.

That said, the upper ball joint was ... "fun" (for Very Small Values Of) . It took two mechanics and a 1200 lb/ft impact wrench to pull it out (they're threaded in on my 1988.)

I'd consider the poly bushings; they firm it up, and will make it noisier, harsher, and add to vibration - BUT! My old rubber bushings were so old and so hard with age, the poly is SOFTER and QUIETER than what I replaced

Prothane sells some black ones that have graphite in the poly for a better lubed ride; I used Energy Suspension because I wasn't aware the Prothanes had the graphite at the time. Well, live and learn.

The ball joint press is not that hard to operate; it just takes grunt.

I'd do that BEFORE I pulled the control arms to get the shaft bushings; that way, any damage to a bushing is to the old one you're replacing anyway.

While it's apart, yes, do the shocks (HINT: No struts on this design! It's a short long arm with a coil spring and a shock absorber in the middle). And since the LCA is out anyway, I'd consider doing the upper and lower spring seats or isolators; I did those also, and that may have also helped tame the front end of The Beast.

The sway bar end links are pretty much generic; I also did Energy Suspension on those, and they've done fine.

I ALSO measured the diameter of my sway bar, and ordered the greaseable generic sway bar bushings for my front sway bar; keeping them lubed helps keep the poly squeak down.

Check the rack for tightness first; if the rack is sloppy or leaking any, I'd just replace it and get one with new inner tie rods before replacing the inners.

Caveat: I did an A1 Cardone rack first; it lasted about 25,000 miles or so, not even a year for me. I've put more than that on my RackDoctor rack assembly; it still feels like bran'new. (I also did poly bushings there; what can I say, I'm a bit of an odd duck at times.)

One last thing to check - your intermediate shaft. Mine was starting to fail, but they don't offer a replacement one for a 1988, so I ended up making one. I would like to my postings on another forum, but that's blocked here, so ... Google "Dodge dakota intermediate shaft RalphP" and see what pops out. *grins*

RwP
Advertisement