Idaho 6bt swap need info and help - DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!
DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!  

Go Back   DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB! > DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - News Desk > MOPAR NATION - Dodge Dakota Club Regional Chapters! > NORTH WEST > IDAHO DODGE DAKOTA OWNERS
Dodge Ram Dodge Durango Dodge Nitro Jeep
Diesel Forums!
Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Jeep Forum
Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Magnum
Dodge Caliber
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Magnum Forum

Notices

Old 03-30-2016, 04:50 AM
Dodge Dakota Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1997-1999 - 5.2 L (318 cu in) Magnum V8, 225 hp (168 kW)
Rep:10
Mr.Underdog is on a distinguished road
Default Idaho 6bt swap need info and help

I am an idaho dakota owner looking to do a 6bt swap in my 98 dakota sport 5.2l 318 wondering what all is required to be replaced to handle the torque and HP increas I don't want to run the risk of twisting the frame.
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2017, 10:27 PM

Vehicle: 2006 4X4 Quad Cab
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2010 - 4.7
Mnkybrz is on a distinguished road

What is a 6bt?
Old 02-20-2017, 09:34 PM

Vehicle: 1993 Dodge dakota
Trim Level: LE
Color: black
Engine: 1992-1993 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) Magnum V6, 180 hp (130 kW)
93Dodgedriver is on a distinguished road

your tranny will not take it do you have a manual or automatic and are you planning on keeping or changing f you have a manual are keeping it id go with a NV4500 its a very tough tranny and keeps well you'll probably have to go to a straight axle in the front end and your grille is maybe have something to bring it out farther.
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2017, 12:39 AM
Dodge Dakota Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 99 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: None
Color: Black
Rep:20
RXT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnkybrz View Post
What is a 6bt?
A Cummins turbo diesel inline 6 cylinder…..The same engines used in the full size Dodge Ram and several larger commercial trucks

Ed
Old 02-28-2017, 12:53 AM
Dodge Dakota Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 99 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: None
Color: Black
Rep:20
RXT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Underdog View Post
I am an idaho dakota owner looking to do a 6bt swap in my 98 dakota sport 5.2l 318 wondering what all is required to be replaced to handle the torque and HP increas I don't want to run the risk of twisting the frame.
This is an old post, but since no one gave you an answer at the time, heres whats involved. You'll need the engine, and a transmission. All Cummins engines use a V10/Cummins specific transmission with a unique bell housing bolt pattern, no other Dodge transmission will bolt on.

If the truck is a 4x4, your factory suspension and drivetrain will not handle the greater weight or the torque these engines can produce. A Cummins swap will require a solid axle swap as well, using axles out of a one ton. If the truck is a 2wd, you'll need to beef up the front suspension and probably replace the light rear axle for a larger/stronger rear axle.

The frame is plenty strong and will not bend.

Ed
Advertisement