My Dakota build with pics. - Page 4 - DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!
DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!  

Go Back   DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB! > DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - Media Zone > Dodge Dakota Pictures

Notices

Dodge Dakota Pictures Post pictures of your Dodge Dakota here!

Old 05-11-2017, 07:12 PM
Dodge Dakota Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 99 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: None
Color: Black
Engine: 1997-1999 - 5.2 L (318 cu in) Magnum V8, 225 hp (168 kW)
Rep:20
RXT is on a distinguished road

At this stage of the build, it was finally time to start the engine. The last time this engine ran was back in the summer of 2002 when I first bought it, and it had been sitting the whole time ever since. But now that it was installed in the Dakota, the moment of truth finally arrived to start this pig…. But the news was not what I had hoped for. One day, I got a phone call from the shop. They told me that after several attempts to start the engine, the engine simply wouldn't run. I decided to go in person to see the engine and figure out why it wouldn't run. When I arrived the mechanics managed to get the engine to run. It ran, and that was good news, but it was a bittersweet victory because to make the engine run, they had to spray ether at it. So long as the spray was picked up by the turbo, it ran. But once the spray stopped, the engine stopped too. It was determined that for some reason, the injector pump wasn't doing it's thing. I knew that it ran back in 2002 because I was able to drive the truck which the engine came from, but after that, the engine did sit for 15 yrs.

After some discussion, I agreed to sending the injector pump out for a rebuild. About two weeks later, I received a text video on my phone. When I played it, there was a grey Cummins turbo diesel running, this time completely on diesel fuel. I would personally visit the shop to see it for myself, and run it did. I was happy. For the first time in this build, I can see the light at the end of this long tunnel. From here many details have to be completed before it can move on it's own.

^ Sadly, you can't see it, but this engine is running. Eventually I will have to open up a youtube account to show vids of this truck running

Ed