Dakota Forumz banner

New name for Dakota under RAM?

21K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  sarjxxx 
#1 ·
#2 ·
#4 ·
did you mean this link?

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/11/sources-say-chrysler-considering-new-names-for-ram-trucks.html

im torn on the new dakota replacement as it may be a unibody design akin to the avalanche or ridgeline, not really a true truck as far as i am concerned, but will have to see it first to pass judgement

thanks for posting that link. was curious to see what they thought about calling it
If it doesn't have a full frame and I can't haul my 4 wheeler in it, then it's not a truck!

#5 ·
I think this is probably an attempt to boost Dakota sales by piggybacking on the Rams recent success. While I have no problem with making us all one big happy family, I've seen rebranding efforts go dissasterously wrong with other products. If you change the name you run the risk of confusing consumers, or alienating your current core.

#10 ·
I think/hope when they say lifestyle truck they just mean a less capable truck not some ridgeline type thing. Id like to see a modern version of the first gen Dakotas, much like a (Dodge) Ram version of the a Ranger. Give it the pentastar v6 and an r/t w/ a 4.7ho or HEMI a 6 or 7ft bed. and around 20mpgs and have it start under 19k. Sound totally doable and we would steal the whole market seeing that the tacoma is huge the colorado/canyon is a pos the Ranger is gone soon and outdated the frontier is ugly and old.

#14 ·
I kinda like the 150/250 idea etc. etc. as long as its not d150 etc. I feel like most people who arent mopar nuts like us would see it as ripping off Ford I like the way Ram 150 sounds and looks and Ram 250HD is sweet or how about Ram50 for dak then 100/200/300 I guess well just have to wait and see

#18 ·
Welcome Drut! you know i didnt like the new Dakota when it first came out, but it is starting to grow on me...heck i didnt like the new Ram when it came out, now i cant get enough of them!!

#19 ·
I Like the 1st and 2nd generation the best. Just my opinion and sure wouldn't turn down a deal on a later on either. I really think that the 2nd generation looks the best, but as I said, that's just MY opinion. But, getting onto what this is really about, They're going to call it whatever they want and only THEY know what that is. It really doesn't matter what they do, the others are gonna badmouth the Dodges, no matter what. Personally, OI would rather that some of the decisions that have been made, concerning the Mopars in general, weren't mad, but they were. I can't see any sense in something like the D100. 150 etc, cause there won't probably won't be that many variations (at least I don't see how there could be enough different models, to make that classification worthwhile.) just my 2 cents worth. :)

#20 ·
If I can't go forward with an improved version of the current Dakota, esp. gas mileage, interior design and maybe a full sized bed w/ the crew cab, I may be inclined to invest in the most upgraded of the 2nd gen. Perhaps a low mileage 2004 Cub Cab Sport 4x4 in patriot blue or black w/ a v8.. I had a 2002 that was perfect. None of the problems others had. I was hoping for something better for 2012. Time will tell but I would hate to be forced to choose a...choke...Toyota. My 1986 Toyota 4x4 was great and I'm mostly kidding about the "choke" part but the Dakota felt more solid. I'm guessing the comparison still holds true.

#21 ·
I heard that the new dakotas are going to be called the Ram Adventure available with the 390 hp hemi. To target younger buyers with an entry level Ram. Starting at 23,000$
Not sure if it will be on the current frame or the bigger durango frame. the article was not clear. Detroit News. Younger buyers can get the new truck fully loaded cheaper than getting an entry level sports car.

#23 ·
lifestyle truck???? What about our life style? Small truck screaming cubic inches/horsepower. The graphs are saying one thing when the 360 went away so did sales. Put the hemi in it w/650 horses to the rear wheels strip it down.sell it for 25,000 and sales will skyrocket. Put the R/T badges back on it. All will be well!! Let it be called "Dakota".. Maybe even the srt-10 viper Dakota??

#30 · (Edited)
Wow. That's.... not cool. I seriously hope they don't do that to the dakota. I mean, wow. Now the 2011's are awesome, I love the facelift with the skinnier headlights and meaner looking grille, but this thing is NOT a Dakota.

And I can say one thing about this "lifestyle" truck. If they do this, more old people might buy it, but companies that use Dakotas as fleet/work trucks will never buy this. That bed is useless. What are you going to carry in there? Let's see... Ok I've got my cooler in here, and... oh, um, well I guess thats all...

#33 ·
THIS is more like it.. screw 4 door "economy"!! in my opinion thats the one area where dodge has fallen a little short. taking their 2 door sports cars and turning them into 4 door sedans..(charger, Avenger, perhaps even the SRT-4) the charger should have been this right from the moment they brought it back. 2 doors.. just like it was back in the day. a bad-ass muscle car.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.