Dakota Forumz banner

body shop?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  02 dakota 
#1 ·
I have rust holes through the outside layer of sheet metal on upper wheel wells of bed (about 4 inches long) and surface rust on front fenders and rocker panels. Over all not bad for a 99 . I would like to get it fixed before it gets worse and repainted. Can a local body do this without replacement? What do you think this would run give or take 500$? I live in cedar rapids,Ia. Thanks!

#2 ·
I hope you're still checking this post even though you posted this in Feb. As far as a body shop goes, it's hard to find a good one that does good honest work. If your fenders are rusted completely through you have 2 options: 1. Replace the fenders 2: Cut out the rusted sheet metal and weld in new sheetmetal in its place. I would go with new fenders, much easier to work with. DON'T GET AFTER MARKET! ONLY USE MOPAR PARTS! This will ensure proper alignment of the parts.
I have seen on classic cars where they used body filler over the rust and then they painted over it. What happens when this is done is the rust still grows and it will bubble out the paint and then there is a bigger problem than what you started with. Make sure that body shop doesn't do that if they do this project for you. I believe that it would cost more than $500.00 to fix this right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.