New truck for Ram, maybe not a Dakota - DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!
DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!  

Go Back   DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB! > DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - News Desk > Automotive Industry News and Dodge Press Releases
Dodge Ram Dodge Durango Dodge Nitro Jeep
Diesel Forums!
Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Jeep Forum
Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Magnum
Dodge Caliber
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Magnum Forum

Notices

Automotive Industry News and Dodge Press Releases News regarding the Dodge Dakota Truck and other industry info. Post it here!

Old 07-22-2014, 04:29 PM
Dodge Dakota Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1996 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) Magnum V6, 175 hp (130 kW)
Rep:10
Bryanbeachboy1970 is on a distinguished road
Default New truck for Ram, maybe not a Dakota

First, let me link this: http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/is-ram...582287/+travis

Yep, the little Fiat Strada is being driven around Detroit in heavy disguise and will probably fill the spot of the "small truck" that is in Ram's portfolio for 2015-2016. I'm actually excited about this; it's not a Dakota (in fact, I'd rather they reuse the old 'Rampage' name) but it is a pretty well-sorted small truck.

Yes, it is a unibody, but if you're doing serious, continuous, and/or heavy work you wouldn't buy a small truck anyway, right? This is more for the first-time buyer who wants a decent-sized interior and an open cargo box that could be made big enough for 'activity' things or cargo hauling.

Yes, its based on a FWD car (the Palio world car) but it is available in AWD, and I would suggest it be imported strictly in that drivetrain. Engines are a little on the small side, but stuff a 2.0L Tigershark under the hood and it'll do fine, maybe even a small diesel. Best of all, an available manual tranny! Maybe Fiat can even offer a performance version with the 2.4L Tigershark!

Yes, the plastic body cladding is hideous. Something else will need to be done. That's just a minor league worry.

BUT I went to Fiat's Brazilian site and priced one. Bearing in mind I don't speak Portuguese, a fully specked one comes out about $16,000 dollars, US. Add shipping costs, and you could get a nicely specked AWD truck that will get very good mileage for less than $18,000!

And before someone mentions the chicken tax, if they only import the crew cab version (which was part of my full-specked price check) they can avoid this since it counts as a car at that point and not a truck. This is how Ford avoids paying the same tax on the little Transit, and why the Subaru Brat came with those crappy bucket seats in the cargo box.

So, not a Dakota, but maybe a spiritual successor for the gen 1 Dakota (like my old '96)? What do you fine folks think?
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Dodge Dakota Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1991 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Base
Color: Red
Engine: 1987-1991 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) LA V6, 125 hp (93 kW)
Rep:20
CaffeineTripp is on a distinguished road

Wouldn't be too bad, but I don't believe it will sell well for a few factors.

Americans want an American truck, not a FWD VW Rabbit Pickup.

Unibody design won't be able to carry as much as a standard frame pickup, even though it's a small pickup, like the Toyota, those can even carry quite a bit.

The pickup is just too small to be of any use, unfortunately, the 80's and the fuel crisis are 'over' and people want bigger vehicles. Have you seen how big the 'compact' CR-V has gotten since the first generation, let alone the rest of the small compact cars?

The engine is just too small for a pickup, even though it fits nicely for the Dart, it just won't be able to do anything useful. This doesn't mean to say that the 2.5 in the Dakota was bad, but it just couldn't physically do the work that the 239/318/360 could.

Though I'd love to have another Rampage style of pickup, it needs to be RWD, 4WD, or AWD with a suspension different than leaf springs for once. Small, compact, good engines (V6 viable), good transmissions, excellent towing/hauling capacity, and automatic transmission available for those who can't drive proper transmissions.

I think that Chrysler is definitely onto something though, most of the vehicle trends tend to come from Europe and Japan, but they come five to ten years after the fact. Take the compact turbo cars Mopar came out with, yeah, great little cars, didn't sell too well overall. Ten years later small compact cars with turbos sell very well.
Chrysler tends to be a bit more innovative way too early in the game, they sink in too much money too quickly and make some pretty rash decisions. Some work, many don't. On the plus side, we did get things like the new Jeep Grand Cherokee that looks awesome, but fails in every other way for reliability, driveability, and fuel. But, whatever, it looks awesome.

Last edited by CaffeineTripp; 09-05-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2014, 07:56 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota quad cab
Trim Level: SlT
Color: Patriot Blue Pearl
Engine: 2000-2004 - 4.7 L (287 cu in) PowerTech V8, 230 hp (170 kW)
Muskie is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Muskie
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbeachboy1970 View Post
First, let me link this: http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/is-ram...582287/+travis

Yep, the little Fiat Strada is being driven around Detroit in heavy disguise and will probably fill the spot of the "small truck" that is in Ram's portfolio for 2015-2016. I'm actually excited about this; it's not a Dakota (in fact, I'd rather they reuse the old 'Rampage' name) but it is a pretty well-sorted small truck.

Yes, it is a unibody, but if you're doing serious, continuous, and/or heavy work you wouldn't buy a small truck anyway, right? This is more for the first-time buyer who wants a decent-sized interior and an open cargo box that could be made big enough for 'activity' things or cargo hauling.

Yes, its based on a FWD car (the Palio world car) but it is available in AWD, and I would suggest it be imported strictly in that drivetrain. Engines are a little on the small side, but stuff a 2.0L Tigershark under the hood and it'll do fine, maybe even a small diesel. Best of all, an available manual tranny! Maybe Fiat can even offer a performance version with the 2.4L Tigershark!

Yes, the plastic body cladding is hideous. Something else will need to be done. That's just a minor league worry.

BUT I went to Fiat's Brazilian site and priced one. Bearing in mind I don't speak Portuguese, a fully specked one comes out about $16,000 dollars, US. Add shipping costs, and you could get a nicely specked AWD truck that will get very good mileage for less than $18,000!

And before someone mentions the chicken tax, if they only import the crew cab version (which was part of my full-specked price check) they can avoid this since it counts as a car at that point and not a truck. This is how Ford avoids paying the same tax on the little Transit, and why the Subaru Brat came with those crappy bucket seats in the cargo box.

So, not a Dakota, but maybe a spiritual successor for the gen 1 Dakota (like my old '96)? What do you fine folks think?
That's a damn shame, the Dakota fills the gap for many truckers, like almost full, but not a micro truck, more maneuverable and with good payload ability. I love my Dakota, but when replacement time comes, I will go either with full size or maybe, just maybe the smaller General Motors option. Too bad, I wonder why Dodge discontinues it anyway?
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2014, 03:15 AM
Dodge Dakota Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota Quad 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2000-2004 - 4.7 L (287 cu in) PowerTech V8, 230 hp (170 kW)
ronpolley is on a distinguished road
Default an easy fix

To satisfy us Dakota sized truck people all Fiat needs to do is bring back the 2011 Dakota and jeepsterize the nose of it,options of 3.7,4.7 and....5.7Hemi.
Re-:borne Honcho.....
Old 12-26-2014, 02:44 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2004-2010 - 4.7
FatBoysDakota is on a distinguished road

I for one will not waste my money on another useless Explorer Sport Trac so called truck so if that's the route the power's that be at Fodge decide to go I will keep my 08 Dakota going as long as possible. It's really to bad that the auto maker's can't learn from the flop's of the unibody so called truck's of the past especially when powered by a fricking moped engine. Listen Fodge just bring back the Dakota and update it stop wasting money on unibody moped powered so called truck's. This is America not Europe where they like those cute little toy's
Old 02-28-2015, 01:21 PM
Dodge Dakota Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: ST
Color: white
Engine: 2004 - 3.7 L (226 cu in) PowerTech V6, 210 hp (160 kW)[2]
kmccune is on a distinguished road

Wow so much dislike,its a small truck not a Super stocker,you want a Hummer or a charger look elsewhere,you are entitled to your opinions respectfully,but a vehicle this size and catagory would satisfy 95% percent of the American six pack hauler needs'The other day when I was pulling a newer Grand Cherokee of an ice pile I had hard time finding a place to hook the tow strap(He didnt have tow hooks and the vehicle was lightly constructed(good for the occupants in a crash,but meet the scrapper after the crash.My old dak pulled Him off the snow-ice pack with ease,but it just shows what the average person needs.If they offered the small truck with a 6 spd manual and 2.8 Diesel(DF doesnt scare Me),mileage in the Mid-Thirties? count me in-notice were gas and diesel prices are headed again?So its probaly time for a practical small truck again,my CC Dak is so long its hard to swing in the mini parking slots they allocate customers now,so Caveat Emptor.
Advertisement