The classic "Bad MPG, Loss of power" ! - DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!
DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!  

Go Back   DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB! > DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - Help Zone - Dodge Dakota Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > Dodge Dakota Engine Problems > 3.7L V6 Specific Topics
Dodge Ram Dodge Durango Dodge Nitro Jeep
Diesel Forums!
Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Jeep Forum
Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Magnum
Dodge Caliber
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Magnum Forum

Notices

Old 06-15-2016, 01:48 AM
Dodge Dakota Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 07 Dodge Dakota
Rep:10
MelvilArnt is on a distinguished road
Default The classic "Bad MPG, Loss of power" !

Hi everybody!
I just bought my dakota 1 week ago and noticed a bad MPG, i use it let's say 70% city and 30% highway and i get 13.5 MPG.
I also noticed a loss of power, lets say im driving on the highway and if i get my foot off the accelerator pedal, the idle speed goes down pretty quickly, and when i want to accelerate again, it needs a lot of power.
Also noticed some gas smell when engine is cold.
The truck has a REAL loss of power when im in rear. i have to press the pedal a lot before it moves!
I looked at a lot of threads but couldn't really find what i was looking for, my air filter is good, and oil is good too. I tried the seafoam, and also recently put a injector cleaner in my tank. And i went from 11.5 to 13.5 MPG.
I just bought two upstream O2 sensors, hoping it will be the solution, but I am not necessarily good in mechanic, and i can't find them or how to replace them! I couldnt find any explanation on the internet or youtube videos...
I did it on my 91 chevy s10 that was pretty easy, but this truck i cant find anything on it ahah

The truck is a 07 Dakota V6 3.7L 4X4 with 117k miles.

Thanks in advance for yoru answers, as i am pretty broke and really need to try things by myself before getting it to a garage!
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2016, 09:56 PM

I just replaced my two precat o2 sensors and there is a slight change, more power but mpg stays at 12.5.. Nobody can help me?
Old 07-04-2016, 11:32 PM

Vehicle: 96 dodge dakota club cab
Trim Level: Slt
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1996 - 5.2 L (318 cu in) Magnum V8, 225 hp (168 kW)
Roberto Cruz is on a distinguished road

Is your check engine light on?
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2016, 11:50 PM

nop it is not
Old 07-16-2016, 09:11 PM

Okey, so I replaced the spark plugs, changed the oil, replace the oil filter, put an injector cleaner and high quality fuel and inflate the tires. No change in my gas mileage... Any other ideas? Maybe the pre cat O2 sensors? I am desperate....
Old 07-19-2016, 02:47 AM
Dodge Dakota Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 99 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: None
Engine: 1997-1999 - 5.2 L (318 cu in) Magnum V8, 225 hp (168 kW)
Rep:20
RXT is on a distinguished road

Hmm. You say you think you may have a loss in power. You also smell gas, correct?

I can think of a couple of areas you may look into. I'm gonna say, take a look at the transmission. If it's an automatic, and if the ATF is low, you won't get good fuel economy and the engine may have to run harder.

You say you've smelled gas. Do you smell it right after you fill the tank? Or all the time? If it smells after you fill up, something might be wrong with the charcoal canister. If you're smelling it all of the time, check for leaks. And this can be a dangerous situation. It could also be the cause of your loss in power

Ed
Old 07-19-2016, 02:58 PM

I only smell gas when the truck is cold, also I want to mention I have mud tires, will that make a difference in the gas mileage?
You think I should fill the transmission fluid?
Old 07-19-2016, 04:30 PM

Vehicle: 1988 Dodge Dakota SE
Trim Level: SE
Color: Mostly Blue
Engine: 1987-1991 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) LA V6, 125 hp (93 kW)
Rep:32
RalphP is on a distinguished road

Check and top off the transmission fluid. That's a "Duh!" question.

Yep, bigger mud tires can adversely affect gasoline mileage; also, if you've not had the speedometer corrected for the larger diameter, it'll show lower gas mileage than you're actually getting.

RwP
Old 07-19-2016, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: 99 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: None
Engine: 1997-1999 - 5.2 L (318 cu in) Magnum V8, 225 hp (168 kW)
Rep:20
RXT is on a distinguished road

Mud tread alone doesn't burn more fuel. What will burn more gas will be the size and the construction of the tire.

If you've gone to a larger tire, it will take more energy to push and if it's a tire with bias ply construction, it will have greater rolling resistance. Further, if you just installed these tires without changing the axle ratio, your engine will work much harder than it has to, to get the truck rolling, and it might feel like there is some resistance. Changing the gear ratio will help restore some of that lost power, but you'll still get worse fuel economy.

You do not want to overfill the transmission, but yes, make sure the level is correct. A transmission running low will work harder and the tranny could overheat and burn the ATF resulting in total failure

Ed

Last edited by RXT; 07-19-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2016, 01:33 AM

I don't really know if they are oversized as I bought the vehicle like this and the tires look pretty normal. Also I noticed when im stopped, like in trafic, my gas mileage goes down very fast... Thats make me think that it is not the tires. Im going to check the transmission liquid, but I checked 1 month ago and it was fine. I am desperate! I am starting to think that it is normal to have 13mpg with a dakota when you do 80% city 20%highway... Is it normal? ahah
Advertisement