Replacing my a/c unit - DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!
DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!  

Go Back   DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB! > DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - Help Zone - Dodge Dakota Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > 2ND Generation Dodge Dakota: 1997 - 2004 > Dodge Dakota Heating & Cooling Problems & Questions
Dodge Ram Dodge Durango Dodge Nitro Jeep
Diesel Forums!
Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Jeep Forum
Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Magnum
Dodge Caliber
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Magnum Forum

Notices

Old 03-13-2017, 01:20 PM
Dodge Dakota Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2002 DODGE DOKOTA SPORT
Trim Level: BASIC
Color: WHITE
Engine: 1997-2002 - 2.5 L (150 cu in) AMC I4, 120 hp (89 kW)
Rep:10
RBG is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing my a/c unit

2002 Dakota Sport. My isn't working for me never was..clutch won't engage..found the system was way over charged. Reduced it still no go, tried to direct jump the clutch to see if the clutch would engage/click..it did not. So I am buying a new compressor "kit" compressor and clutch unit, dryer can and the orifice filter, new valves and o rings. My question is should I also buy a new condenser unit. Seems like over kill but several of the kit warranties require it but not all. Says something about newer style can't be flushed so shoudl always be replace while older can be flushed..so does the 2002 have the newer or older style condenser??

Note I had an earlIER post on the wiring which didn't look factory so I bypassed it still no go.

Also using Rock auto to order it..Any comments on the manufactures:

FOUR SEASONS $130
GPD $141
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 05:30 PM
Dodge Dakota Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1988 Dodge Dakota SE
Trim Level: SE
Color: Mostly Blue
Engine: 1987-1991 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) LA V6, 125 hp (93 kW)
Rep:32
RalphP is on a distinguished road

Don't forget to pick up the proper amount of oil for the new compressor.

Do you have gauges and a vacuum pump? Because you'll need those.

Also, ideally, you should fill by weight of R134, not by pressure.

I'd do the compressor, although if the problem is that the clutch failed and it was overfilled (probably overfilled by someone using those "$9.95 Make Your AC Cold Again!" kits), the condensor should be OK.

Don't forget to flush everything with the proper flush!

RwP
Old 04-01-2017, 01:57 PM

Update; I replaced the compressor including 7 oz. of PAC 46 oil, dryer, and condenser. While I had all the lines lose I flushed them out and dried them, all new o rings, seals and valve cores, installed new orifice filter. Put it all back together vacuumed the system..let it sit for 45 minutes no change in vacuum, ran pump for another 30 minutes vacuum dropped a bit more. Hooked up gauges and started to add Freon..got about 7 oz. In and was watching the low side pressure it went up to 80+ while the high side was only at 25-30. So I stopped. The compressor did not engage..so I check it by hot wiring it..it did work. So I am assuming the one of both of the safety switches was keeping it form turning on. The theory for now is that the orifice tube was not sealing correctly letting too much Freon through..so the low pressure side was reading high while the high pressure side was reading too low. The end of the tube was a bit out of line so I straighten it and now figure that the tube itself it not right so the filter o rings arenít sealing the properly. Anyway the plan is to buy a new A/C Refrigerant Liquid Hose-Liquid Line w/ Orifice Tube install it re seal the system vacuum it out again and try to charge..

BUT if that doesnít work..what else could have caused a low side very high pressure 80+ and a very low high side pressure 25-30 with less than 12oz. Of Freon in the system?
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2017, 02:02 PM

That LOOKS like you've got the gauges backwards.

Consider that the low side is the suction side, or inlet to the compressor, and the high side is the OUTLET side of the compressor; if the expansion valve was plugged, the HIGH side would go high and the LOW side extremely low.

Here's a cutnpasta of the two paragraphs from the factory service manual:

Quote:
LOW PRESSURE GAUGE HOSE
The low pressure hose (Blue with Black stripe)
attaches to the suction service port. This port is
located on the compressor manifold, directly over the
suction port of the compressor.
HIGH PRESSURE GAUGE HOSE
The high pressure hose (Red with Black stripe)
attaches to the discharge service port. This port is
located on the liquid line between the condenser and
the evaporator, near the front of the engine compartment.
RwP
Old 04-01-2017, 02:07 PM

Default guages on correctly

They can't be put on wrong they only fit the correct side low or high. The low side port is smaller than the high side.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:08 PM

And you can't have the low side a higher pressure than the high side.

The OTHER choice is that your gauges are broken and WWWAAAAYYYYY out of calibration.

Take your pick.

(BTW - you sure you've got the low pressure gauge to the low pressure side of the manifold? Or that you're reading them right?)

RwP
Old 04-01-2017, 02:18 PM

I guess I could go borrow another set of gauge for autozone and see what it reads. I am using a friends gauges and he has done a/c work before and seems to know his stuff. I guess I could ask him to put his gauges on his truck and see it they read correctly on his system.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:22 PM

I would do that.

Offer the friend who does A/C work his/her choice of libation (beer usually works, but hey, even a decent wine for swap is cheaper than shop labor *grins*) and have them eyeball it for you to make sure that a) you're reading the gauges properly and b) they're connected and hosed properly.

RwP
Old 04-01-2017, 02:29 PM

He did this all with me..actually he did I watched and handed him tools
Advertisement