front cab mounts to body side - DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!
DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!  

Go Back   DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB! > DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - Help Zone - Dodge Dakota Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > 2ND Generation Dodge Dakota: 1997 - 2004 > Dodge Dakota Body and Interior Problems & Questions
Dodge Ram Dodge Durango Dodge Nitro Jeep
Diesel Forums!
Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Jeep Forum
Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Magnum
Dodge Caliber
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Magnum Forum

Notices

Old 05-14-2016, 02:32 PM
Dodge Dakota Forum Member

Vehicle: 1999 dodge dakota
Color: white
Engine: 1997-2003 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) Magnum V6, 175 hp (130 kW)
Rep:10
72rtchallenger is on a distinguished road
Default front cab mounts to body side,,progress !!

99 dakota . Has anyone changed the front cab mounts on the body side that are spot welded to cab side ? I was wondering if I can just cut it out and weld in some I can get from junk yard without having to much trouble on raising it up off frame , I already have the bed off and may pull fenders if necessary , I am sure it will be a pita but wondering how much I can raise cab without any other unforeseen issues

Last edited by 72rtchallenger; 05-14-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72rtchallenger View Post
99 dakota . Has anyone changed the front cab mounts on the body side that are spot welded to cab side ? I was wondering if I can just cut it out and weld in some I can get from junk yard without having to much trouble on raising it up off frame , I already have the bed off and may pull fenders if necessary , I am sure it will be a pita but wondering how much I can raise cab without any other unforeseen issues

As we can see the mount is rusted

And got it cut out

And a few holes to patch , not bad as floor section is good

And the one from a junk yard to be welded in after fixing holes on rocker side
Old 05-15-2016, 07:18 PM
Dodge Dakota Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 99 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: None
Color: Black
Engine: 1997-1999 - 5.2 L (318 cu in) Magnum V8, 225 hp (168 kW)
Rep:20
RXT is on a distinguished road

In my case, it wasn't only the cab mount that was rusted out, the cancer spread to the rocker panels and part of the floor. I knew the bracket was in bad shape, and eventually the entire bracket failed.

I had considered replacing the entire section of the cab, but eventually I settled upon swapping the entire cab itself. It was a big job but what made it worth the effort for me was that I upgraded from a club cab to a quad cab.

Here is the new sheet metal after the swap;

This isn't an uncommon problem with these Dakotas. I believe that the part is prone to rust because in their wisdom, Chrysler designed the part with a large rectangular access hole, just behind the tire. So when the tire throws sand and mud, it can get inside the hole. When the part holds dirt inside, it acts like a sponge and holds water in there too, resulting in rust. What I did to prevent this was I closed up these recangular access holes. But I did leave the small square hole that is under the bracket (next to the body block) to act as a drain. I figure that the smaller size and it's underside location would be harder for dirt and mud to get into, but just in case, I spray some oil up in there from time to time to keep rust at bay.

Ed

Last edited by RXT; 05-15-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2016, 10:33 PM

Thats a good upgrade on cab , I think I can repair mine and keep mine,, and thats a good idea to cover the openings, believe I will cover mine , and still got to do other mount in front also , the ones in back are ok but have to cut out both rear corners around rocker areas and do some patching and then the hole behind muffler sucks but its time to fix before it gets worse, but
got this side patched today and painted with some por-15, hope to install mount tomorrow evening and then other side to get next

of course the other weak spot was on frame joint behind muffler had a hole could put hand thru , so plating area, but leaf spring mount is on other side, but that patch plate is around 3/8" thick and will be welded in top to bottom

Last edited by 72rtchallenger; 05-15-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:16 AM

POR15 is good stuff. If you look at my 1st photo, that black paint is POR15, I slathered on there when I first got the truck. I hate rust repair because even after you think you fixed it, it can begin spreading again. The absolute best stuff I find to stop rust in its tracks, is good old fashioned oil. Yes it's messy, but it's the only stuff on earth that stops rust. Besides covering that access hole, there are a few plastic body plugs covering the rocker panels. I'd get a sprayer and spray some oil inside the rockers so that they don't rust from within.

Ed
Old 05-16-2016, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXT View Post
POR15 is good stuff. If you look at my 1st photo, that black paint is POR15, I slathered on there when I first got the truck. I hate rust repair because even after you think you fixed it, it can begin spreading again. The absolute best stuff I find to stop rust in its tracks, is good old fashioned oil. Yes it's messy, but it's the only stuff on earth that stops rust. Besides covering that access hole, there are a few plastic body plugs covering the rocker panels. I'd get a sprayer and spray some oil inside the rockers so that they don't rust from within.

Ed
Yea I agree as oil helps and will keep monitoring these areas as I drive, on the good side I will only put about 7 thousand miles a year on it as I only use it as needed , just bought it as a 2nd driver to do light hauling on the farm, but want it to last about 10 years so decided to fix all rust and make it as dependable as possible,
Old 05-16-2016, 01:01 PM

I can relate about having it last as long as possible. I owned my Dakota for over ten years and I never intended to do anything more than drive it. When I bought it, it came down from Michigan, so it was exposed to salt roads, but there wasn't too much rust. The first thing I did was find every spot of rust and paint over it with POR15. I also discovered that body bracket had some rust in it too and the void was totally filled with dirt. So after washing it out, I slathered the part in POR15. It was that way for the next ten years. About 8 years in, the paint began to flake off, so I decided to throw on a cheap paint job. When I took off the fender flares, I discovered to my horror that there was tons of rust underneath. That got me to closely inspect the entire truck. I was unaware of the spread of rust in both rockers and the floor boards, and both body brackets continued to rust until they were paper thin. I knew that the truck was on borrowed time and I wasn't sure how I was going to address it.

When I was young, I went to school for auto body repair and had a couple of jobs doing it. The one thing I learned was rust is truly like a cancer. It spreads until it consumes everything. The best solution is to replace the part, rather than repair it, because if the repair isn't perfect, and you don't kill the rust entirely, it will rear it's ugly head again, and spread. My POR15 paint job didn't stop the rust, and I knew it was a temporary solution, because the parts were still deteriorating. Eventually one of the brackets broke during an off road trip, with the other side not far behind.

The job you took on was something I considered doing. Except in my case, the rocker panel next to the bracket was also rotted out, and both are needed to support the truck. For me, I was looking at putting the cab on a rotisserie and replacing sections of floor. But from my experience, the best solution was to just replace the part. But this meant replacing the whole cab. Well, I figured, sine I had to remove the cab either way, I chose to replace rather than repair. And if I was going to replace, I could get a bigger cab (Which I wanted anyway.)

So my truck went from this;

To this;

Of course, since then, I decided to make some other big changes, and that included doing a solid axle swap, a Cummins engine swap, and a lot more tire. So now, it looks like this;

You're doing a great job. It's a huge undertaking, and in that case, good luck.

Sincerely
Ed
Old 05-17-2016, 01:55 AM

Well you definitely made some changes , looks good , I plan on keeping this one simple and I am cutting most rust out and welding in new metal , after I get mounts and rear corners done and bed on fender wells repaired ,
I will add a spray liner by raptor in white on the rockers and few inches up on lower door area and lower bed sides , and under the cab around mounts to help seal out the moister from the metal as well , and around the wheel wells will get this ..Then spray a black liner inside bed area, this will help me not have to paint truck and will seal areas better , if after a few years it looks good and not much more rust then might upgrade to v8 , but might keep the v6 3.9

Last edited by 72rtchallenger; 05-17-2016 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:49 AM

got this side mocked up and ready to weld and fill in those stock openings to keep mud out and water out.

Advertisement