Dakota Forumz banner

DIY transmission flush

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Scoughty 
#1 ·
So I pulled the pan off, replaced the filter, adjusted the bands, put the pan on, poured all of the oil I caught in a 5 gallon bucket, where a I marked it by the quart. 6 qts came out of it, so I put 6 qts of new fluid in. Now I disconnected one of the lines feeding into the radiator, and ran a couple of hoses off of it into the bucket. I started it, and let it idle. Even 20 minutes after the thermostat opened on the engine no fluid came out. So how do get this to work? I know that there is a thermostat on the transmission, but how do you get it to open?

#2 ·
Well, since the pump actually only runs in gear .. but WHY IN HELL ARE YOU RUNNING IT OPEN LIKE THAT????? YOU TRYING TO KILL THE TRANSMISSION??????

Just leave the new fluid in there, and be done with it.

If you want to "flush" take it to someone else who has the proper pressure equipment, oh, and then take it to the rebuild shop.

RwP

#3 ·
Yeah, turns out you have to put it in gear, or neutral, but how does flushing it like that hurt the transmission? I was adding fluid to it as it was coming out. Was it the best way to do it? Probably not, but I made sure that it didn?t get so low, that it sucked air into it. All the flush machines do is pour new fluid in the same rate it?s coming out.

#4 ·
I flushed mine at home, I used a 12 volt fuel pump. Cracked the return line at the rad, new fluid in through the rad, old fluid out the other end into a bucket till new fluid started coming out. Check fluid level, or pump out a couple liters and add. Easy Peasy

This way it flushes the torque converter.

Don't really remember, but I think it took around 12-16 liters after all was done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.