Dakota Forumz banner

'87 Carbureted 3.9

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  RayVanBuren 
#1 ·
I recently acquired a 1987 Dakota. The engine runs really rich/ flooding. I have done everything short of replacing the carb. I personally don't like electronically controlled carbs. Any idea as to what I can do? I do have another carb but haven't tried it yet.

#2 ·
unlss that is a Calif equipped truck the carb itself probably isn't electronic... as in mixture control solenoid, etc... just because you have wires going to it don't mean the carb itself is an electronic type. there are various switches and idle speed control solenoids on these carbs but they are external.
my 87 B250 van had the same 2 barrel carb as you, it certainly was not an electronic carb
yeah it had a computer (like yours does)

don't be afraid of it, dig in probably dirty from age inside. but first check EVERYTHING else.

#3 ·
Actually, yes, the carb is an electronic feedback carb in the 1987.

There's still a lot of mechanical, but still, it is a feedback unit.

(Think the worst you can get from a pure carb and the worst you can get from TBI, combined in one Fine Performance Of Schtuff ... )

RwP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.