Dakota Forumz banner

Several Dakota Questions

19K views 61 replies 12 participants last post by  BiggestDakota 
#1 ·
1. IF you were to convert from the 3.9 V6 to the 318 or 360, what would you need to replace in the process? Wouldn't it be a basically "Bolt In Project"? (I'm looking for some more power and IF there are things to do to the 3.9 that would give it more kick, I'm listening. :)

2. I would like to know where I can find (Decent) Parts & accessories FOR the Dakota?

3. Also, I have a '93 Dakota, would the '99 or so (of that same body style) be a better choice and if so, why?

Thanks for your time and patience, Bill ;)

#60 ·
make sure that when you mount the fan that the connecting rod is stright i had the same problem then found out it was bent fixed that and no more blown out fans. or you could just get electric fans and lessen the stress on the engin a lil giving a small bit of HP and MPG

#61 · (Edited)
I permanently took my fan and fan clutch off the 96 5.2 V8.

I have a 2000 Ford Contour electric fan set (there are two fans) that I got on Ebay for about $45 shipped. And a Flex A Lite 31165 fan variable speed (two speed) fan controller that allows for adjustment of the trigger temp. I have mine set to come on when the a/c is running or when engine temp gets to 195 degrees--it starts at 60% of full speed and goes to 100% when the temp hits 205. Both fans come on simultaneously, btw. I'm keeping the old clutch fan setup pending summer time temps here in south eastern AZ.

Fan source: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181050315345?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Controller source: http://www.amazon.com/Flex---lite-3...8-1&keywords=flex+a+lite+fan+controller+31165

This setup moves a lot of air, fits (at least on the 96) very well and was an easy install. Hardest part was figuring out how to mount the coolant overflow bottle. On the 96, inside the relay center on the inner driver's side fender, there was a relay for a radiator fan that was only used on 2.5 I4 engines. But the circuit is hot (key on) and removing the relay provides a good keyed power supply for the controller.

#62 ·
if you have any questions on 4x4 and lifts for dakotas, feel free to ask me. Ive done them all. 5.5'' suspention, 3'' body torsion bar crank, SOLID AXLE SWAP... Right now im running 20'' total lift on 47'' military tires. i have a set of 44'' bogger tires i play off road with. i run Dana 60 axles (1-ton 8lug) and 5.38 gears with lockers.. i swapped my 5.2 to 5.9 (manual trans)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.