Dakota Forumz banner

2001 5.9L 4x4 trans. issue?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  JVTK 
#1 ·
Hey guys quick question. I have only had my Dakota a little over a month and have replaced a lot of parts due to the previous owner not taking care of the truck. But my question is when I put the truck in reverse and let off the brake it does not start to roll back until I press on the gas. Even when I do it seems like it is bogged down. And sometimes when I make a turn my RPM's will jump a little. I am sure the truck needs a good tune up because I am sure the guy that owned it before prob. Never gave it a tune up. Do you guys think after a tune up it will run better or could this be a transmission issue? Thanks guys

#2 ·
What are your idle RPMs at? Can't remember off hand (Niebs - Marty - Someone correct me if I'm wrong here!) but I believe trans won't engage till around 750-800rpm stock. So if you're idling lower than this you won't feel it pull at idle in reverse. If you feel the truck needs a tune up or is running poorly I'd address this first, while you're at it remove and clean IAC as preventative maintenance and re check.

Are rear brakes properly adjusted? If you have rear shoes brakes adjusted too tight or too loose can also cause weird issues like this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.