Dakota Forumz banner

New guy looking for help

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  padroo 
#1 ·
Now I have a problem that I have not been able to solve and I am looking for suggestions to help me get it ready to East of the Cascades next week. About a year ago the heater fan and the radio quick working most of the time, Some times when I start her, the fans will blow and will usually continue until I shut the engine off and some time the radio will come on while I am driving and have given up on having news and weather for the trip. One of the local mechanics said that my heater motor relay was faulty and it was under the black cowling in front of the front window. I have removed that part and have access to that whole area. There is not much there. In the air opening in the firewall there is something topside in that hole that I can't quiet see, but there does not seem to be enough wires coming from it to affect both the fan and the radio, just my guess.

I am at a loss to look elsewhere and have not had much luck goggling anything to try. Suggestions would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Does the fan and radio always go out together? If they do I am thinking ground.

I am not familiar with your truck but I have had some Chrysler cars. My guess is it is not a relay but Chrysler uses a resistor to control fan speed. The resistor I am talking about was under that cowling cover he mentioned. On two of my cars I had to replace them . With the cover removed on my cars the windshield wiper resIvor was also under that cover and you had to remove the reservoir and the resistor was behind it. Your truck may not be the same but the resistor is always mounted through ft he firewall and goes into the heater plentum. It will have an electrical plug and a couple of sheet metal screws holding it in. When you remove it it has several wires wound up that look like springs. What happens is they rust out causing the problem. They were actually cheap even from Chrysler.
I had a hard time finding the information myself and professional mechanics didn't even know. Good luck, let us know what you find

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.