Another Rough Idle Thread - I'm Stumped... - Page 2 - DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!
DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!  

Go Back   DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB! > DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - Help Zone - Dodge Dakota Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > Dodge Dakota Engine Problems > 3.9L V6 Specific Topics
Dodge Ram Dodge Durango Dodge Nitro Jeep
Diesel Forums!
Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Jeep Forum
Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Magnum
Dodge Caliber
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Magnum Forum

Notices

Old 06-07-2018, 12:47 PM
Dodge Dakota Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 1997-2003 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) Magnum V6, 175 hp (130 kW)
Rep:10
n84434 is on a distinguished road

I swapped out the Coolant Sensor yesterday after work, and I think I found part of the problem.. I went to remove the connector from the sensor and the end of the sensor came off with the connector....!

Pretty sure the Coolant Sensor was no good...

I installed the new sensor and went for a long drive. Much better with no crazy fuel trim swings, but I did notice that it would go has high as +9.0% while driving, but then would settle back down near 0.0% or +1.0%. Never went into negative STFT, and Long Term Fuel Trim stayed at or near 0.0%

Feeling much better about this now.
I'm a little concerned about the high-ish positive number, but on the plus side the exhaust smells clean and the truck seems to be running much better.

I just have to figure out why the STFT jumped up to +9.0% occasionally.

Thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2018, 12:13 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: slt
Color: red
Engine: 2004-2010 - 4.7
ddakota3 is on a distinguished road

n84434, I dont have any help to offer, but am interested in the outcome as my 2005 4.7 surges and "hunts" at idle. Does a OBD scanner give any clues? Good luck in your quest!
John/ ddakota3
Old 06-09-2018, 02:38 PM

Hi John;
Well, I believe I have found the end to my dilemma. I drove the truck to work this morning (76 mile commute each way) and the truck ran great the whole time. My scanner is able to show live data, so I was monitoring the fuel trim data as well as the O2 sensors and everything was well within the range of where it's supposed to be.

To answer your question, Yes, a good OBD scanner with "Live Data Mode" will be a hugely useful tool in diagnosing problems. I'm not that familiar with the 4.7 but I would start with the basics like a clean MAF, clean the IACV (a biggy with surging) vacuum line leaks and O2 sensor condition. If you do have a CEL on, get the codes and see what you're up against.

Report back and we'll see what we can figure out..

Jim

Last edited by n84434; 06-09-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2018, 11:43 AM

Just one final update. It's been running great all week and I installed the new muffler which really made the difference.*

I'm sure it was the coolant sensor.

You guys have been a great audience!

peace...
Old 03-26-2019, 04:12 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota SLE
Trim Level: SLE
QC123 is on a distinguished road
Default Wow! Look at that! Now I own it.

And I dig it a lot. Nice truck and a great vacation to the Great Lakes area to come get it. Joined this forum a couple weeks ago to try to get some read on the intermittent check engine light I've been vexed with and was stunned to find your excellent thread right away. I read it but will go over it much more closely a couple more times to process all the exceptional information you have posted here. Got to admit, my forum threads read a lot more like, "Truck no run. Me not happy. How I up happy truck me?" I too am stumped. As a seeker of trends and exceptions in statistics in my quality positions, I thought this one would be relatively easy to find but I have yet to get anything in the way of cause and effect action. Will have some questions, if you don't mind, after I give the thread another read. Would you mind? All the best! And thanks for selling me a great truck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (100.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-29-2019, 03:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001
2001_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear that you have had success. During work on my son's truck, I broke the coolant sensor. It was nice to see that the part is still available, and cheap. His truck had a poor idle as well due to cracked heads, and maybe the coolant sensor.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:51 AM

Default Time to put this thread to sleep

Since I bought this truck last October, I have had a "Check Engine" light glaring at me off and on. The good side of this was that the truck didn't seem to suffer too much from whatever the CEL was unhappy about. It was always the same set of codes: misfire in cyl 1, 3 or multiple. Since I was planning to take it for an extended drive back up north to the tune of 4-5000 miles in July, it was time to take care of a couple other small irritations and say goodbye to the CEL.

Took it to my mechanics with a to do list and kicked back with this months copy of Hemmings Motor News in the lounge for a quiet read. The to do list included fixing the back up light switch, servicing the A/C and advancing the knowledge base as to what's up with the CEL. I had explained to them about the rough idle and lousy gas mileage (18.6 mpg average from a 3.9 had better include a large trailer and a load in the back or something was wrong; it didn't so...uh...something was wrong) as well as the long list of parts that had been thrown at it so far. They said, "No problem. We'll call you when it's ready." They always do.

About 3 hours and 300 pages into the Hemmings, the truck was good to go. I now had a mobile meat locker with back up lights and a satisfying lack of CEL. The latter was chased off by installing a new injector in the #2 cylinder and replacing the fuel pump.

The Dakota is now amazing! It ran and drove before but now it DRIVES! The transformation is astonishing. I have essentially a new truck. So that is the end of this story. Glad I could write it.

Will see you on the road!
Old 06-28-2019, 02:10 PM
Dodge Dakota Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:80
oldmarine will become famous soon enough

Seems the troubleshooting and steps you've taken thus far are pretty sound. With a problem this intermittent and which can be corrected by shutting off and restarting makes it that much more difficult. I would be looking for bad wiring or a poor connection to the sensors that the PCM uses to regulate fuel delivery. I'm guessing that when you replaced the cat, you also replaced the O2 sensors, and checked the wiring and connectors there. So the other main sensors are the throttle position sensor (TPS), the manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP), and the intake air temperature sensor (IAT). I doubt that the sensors themselves are bad, or the problem wouldn't be intermittent and correctable by restarting. But a bad wire or poor connection to the sensor could generate a fluctuating signal, and turning the engine off (removing the vibration) may allow it to 'reset'.

Another possibility is a problem with your 5 volt power circuit. It is generated in the PCM and provides sensor power to the crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, TPS and MAP sensor. Fluctuating voltage here (or a bad wire) could provide erratic input from all those sensors. The 5 volt power is provided through an orange wire coming from pin 17 of connector 1 on the PCM. (Pins and colors are from a 2000 FSM, but I think it's the same for 1998, especially the orange color as that is pretty standard for Chrysler.) You should see an orange wire going into each of those sensors, and can check the voltage with the connector disconnected and the key on - look for 5 volts.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmarine View Post
Seems the troubleshooting and steps you've taken thus far are pretty sound. With a problem this intermittent and which can be corrected by shutting off and restarting makes it that much more difficult. I would be looking for bad wiring or a poor connection to the sensors that the PCM uses to regulate fuel delivery. I'm guessing that when you replaced the cat, you also replaced the O2 sensors, and checked the wiring and connectors there. So the other main sensors are the throttle position sensor (TPS), the manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP), and the intake air temperature sensor (IAT). I doubt that the sensors themselves are bad, or the problem wouldn't be intermittent and correctable by restarting. But a bad wire or poor connection to the sensor could generate a fluctuating signal, and turning the engine off (removing the vibration) may allow it to 'reset'.

Another possibility is a problem with your 5 volt power circuit. It is generated in the PCM and provides sensor power to the crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, TPS and MAP sensor. Fluctuating voltage here (or a bad wire) could provide erratic input from all those sensors. The 5 volt power is provided through an orange wire coming from pin 17 of connector 1 on the PCM. (Pins and colors are from a 2000 FSM, but I think it's the same for 1998, especially the orange color as that is pretty standard for Chrysler.) You should see an orange wire going into each of those sensors, and can check the voltage with the connector disconnected and the key on - look for 5 volts.

You have confused me with the former owner(s). Everything mentioned above had been replaced by one of them prior to my ownership including a new manifold to bumper exhaust and everything connected to it. The gentleman I bought the truck from is an aircraft mechanic for a very large international carrier and has been for many years. He is the author of the bulk of this thread.

Before I bid on the truck, I had a very pleasant conversation with him after reading one of the best, most honest eBay descriptions I had ever seen. It became quickly obvious that no matter what hydro-electro-mechanical challenge he is met with (Female voice from the other room, "Hon, the bathroom faucet is leaking. Would you look at it?"), he approaches the repair with the mentality that the object in question will be taking 350 passengers to Brussels tonight with an assumed high degree of success. To find this thread after buying the truck gave me a bit of a new buyer jolt. I read it very, very carefully many times.

It caused me to sit and give the ramifications of the find a think. After some serious consideration (a single malt Scotch is much preferred over a multimeter for this level of diagnostic) I decided the prime root of the problem was this: my Dakota was built, not by Boeing or Airbus (or even American Standard Plumbing Corporation) but the Chrysler Corporation circa (God help us) 1998. I didn't need 5 volts at pin 17, I needed Pablo.

Pablo is a national treasure. He is the type of mechanic who, if you need your 318 fully rebuilt while it is running and only through the exhaust pipes, he'll think about it for a minute, tell you it will be ready in a couple days and ask how much gas is in the tank. See previous post for Pablo's solution to the rough idle problem. In return, I hand him quantities of dirty, often rumpled pictures of Dead American Statesmen. After that, the vehicle runs perfectly for 10s of thousands of miles.

Granted, this approach doesn't advance the technical content of this excellent forum. Especially since I have no intention of revealing how to get in touch with Pablo. You see, I have this Dodge pickup that needs some work that was built by the Chrysler Corporation circa (God help us) 1983 and I want to be sure he has the time. I am in conference with a group of Dead American Statesmen, even as we speak....!
Old 06-28-2019, 06:33 PM
Dodge Dakota Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:80
oldmarine will become famous soon enough

Sorry about that, Q123. When I clicked on the new posts link (the one you posted yesterday), I only went to the bottom of the first page and didn't note the date. I responded to N84434s last post on that page. But I do feel better about my diagnosis - as shown on the first entry of page 2, his problem turned out to be a bad coolant sensor and/or connection. Not one of the sensors I addressed, but one that the PCM does look at when metering fuel.

Glad you got the later issue worked out, and that your Dakota and your older Dodge pickup are giving you as much pleasure as mine gives me!
Advertisement