Dakota Forumz banner

89 Dakota No Start

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  br1anDr 
#1 ·
I have a 89 Dakota. I've been having issues with backfiring, rough idle, and truck dying. i have replaced iac. when doing base tune up ( spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor) disconnected battery replaced all parts. Now for some reason vehicle wont start at all cranks once or twice then just stops cranking. any ideas? Could really use some help on this. Thank you all

#2 ·
Does it crank only a few times on cold starts or after is dies from running?
Not sure what you Mech level is, so forgive me for some of the basic checks;
-check your ground wire to starter/pull starter and have tested
-make sure all spark plugs are gapped properly
-check all wires connecting to spark plugs back to distributor are in the right firing order
-is the distributor timed properly
-check your cats for cloggage or disintegrating material or if they are completely hollow
-check and clean your injectors

-

#4 ·
I had a 93' 3.9 2nd gen. Put the key in, don't crank it just turn it on to the first ignition point. Look at your check engine light while doing so. Leave the key in the first ignition position for a few minutes. Does the check engine light flash then get to a steady on? If this is the case, it's an electrical problem you might chase forever. As previously stated make sure the battery and electrical intake voltage are premium. You could try an ECU/PCM replacement. Good Luck.

#5 ·
By "cranks once or twice".... do you mean that either;
you hit the key and the starter cranks the engine slowly or spins over for a couple of seconds then quits spinning with the starter OR

you hit the key and it fires a couple times and tries to start, then continues spinning with the starter and just doesn't fire?

2 completely different issues going on..... like when so many people say "not turning over".... that drives me nuts. If when you hit the key, the starter engages the engine and spins it over, that IS "turning over" Whether it fires and starts/ tries to start OR NOT, that is "turning over".... that term has nothing to do with whether it fires or not....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.