Dakota Forumz banner

Hard to start in cold weather 5.2l 1997 dakota

2K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  Oldfaithful 
#1 ·
So im having a problem with a weird solution, and looking for more info on fixing it better. I have a 1997 Dakota 5.2l magnum, 321,301 miles, and the truck has always had problems starting when the temperature drops below 70°F. I'm originally from South TX so this isn't a problem usually, but I'm in Oklahoma for work right now and its been in the 30s in the morning.

The truck normally would require starter fluid to run in these temps, but I just figured out that if I click the key to the ACC and leave it on for about 10 minutes, the truck will fire right up, no problem. I just figured this out a couple days ago and it works like a charm, every time. What could this indicate? Even if I drive the truck for a long period of time, the engine temp never moves past 130 when it's cold out, and upon turning the truck off for more than 5 minutes, the truck is hard to start again without leaving the ACC on, although it takes only a minute or so after the engine is warm. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I figured out the temperature undercooling problem. My thermostat had no guts in it. Lol. Apparently someone took the spring and sensor out a long time ago, for whatever reason. I threw a 195 t-stat in and now the truck runs at proper temp and heat blows hot. That's one more problem fixed. I don't think that will have any thing to do with my cold start issue but we will see. It's in the mid 80s right now and will get cold again next week

#3 ·
PCM no start

It turns out the reason it wouldnt start easily is because of the PCM. I replaced it with a new one about a year or so ago and havent had problems since. I figured out that i could warm it up with a hairdryer and it would fire in the cold every time. Just putting this here to potentially help someone in the future

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.