Dakota Forumz banner

A/C not blowing out of vents very much

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  08er 
#1 ·
Hey Folks. New to the Forum and I need a little help. I have an 07 Dakota 4 door, 4.7 Flex Fuel, and just recently startied having some A/C problems. The unit is charged up great and the air is around 40 to 42 degrees, but it doesn't very much at all come out of the vents. The fan is doint it's job, as you can hear it very well but it just will not come out of the vents enough to cool you on these 100 degree days. Someone said it is a blend door behind the dash, and others said it is some type of relay. Anyway, does anyone have any knowledge of this type of thing to where you could give me some input on it. I would gladly appreciate anything that anyone can tell me. Thank you in advance.

Walter

#2 ·
I have this same problem. 93 Dakota 3.9 Auto. Air at 32 degrees after recharge of system and blows fairly strong at first. But drive around for 30 minutes to an hour and the vent pressure drops until beads of sweat start forming on my brow. No air out of any outlet (no defrost, no heater, no nothing) Blower motor blowing full blast, but air just trapped! Switching between defrost/heater/vent/recirc-max/etc have no effect. Park, turn off, and wait a few hours with engine off, vent blows near normal again. Replaced all vacuum lines I could under hood. And PCV valve and vacuum splitters. Recirc actuator works behind and to the right of the glove box.

How does the air get trapped??

#5 ·
I have this same problem. 93 Dakota 3.9 Auto. Air at 32 degrees after recharge of system and blows fairly strong at first. But drive around for 30 minutes to an hour and the vent pressure drops until beads of sweat start forming on my brow. No air out of any outlet (no defrost, no heater, no nothing) Blower motor blowing full blast, but air just trapped! Switching between defrost/heater/vent/recirc-max/etc have no effect. Park, turn off, and wait a few hours with engine off, vent blows near normal again. Replaced all vacuum lines I could under hood. And PCV valve and vacuum splitters. Recirc actuator works behind and to the right of the glove box.

Issue I had with mine not blowing through vents well was the little radiator core in the dash was clogged was able to take out glove box remove blower motor and just next to that I could get my hand with a brush up in there

Hey Folks. New to the Forum and I need a little help. I have an 07 Dakota 4 door, 4.7 Flex Fuel, and just recently startied having some A/C problems. The unit is charged up great and the air is around 40 to 42 degrees, but it doesn't very much at all come out of the vents. The fan is doint it's job, as you can hear it very well but it just will not come out of the vents enough to cool you on these 100 degree days. Someone said it is a blend door behind the dash, and others said it is some type of relay. Anyway, does anyone have any knowledge of this type of thing to where you could give me some input on it. I would gladly appreciate anything that anyone can tell me. Thank you in advance.

Walter
I had an issue that air flow wouldn't reach my vents very well I took out glove box dropped the blower motor you can reach your hand with a small brush and and clean the heater core the loovers get clogged mine was really bad had to use brush and small shop vac stuck up in there cleaned and vacuumed it was easy enough with minimal disassembly air was reaching vents much better

#3 ·
Sounds like your evaporator is icing up and blocking the airflow. When you turn the engine off, the evaporator starts defrosting, and eventually will be clear again. I'm not really up on the theory of operation of A/C systems, but apparently there is something in the system that is supposed to prevent icing of the evaporator. You may have to check with a professional on this.

In the 93 Dakota, all controls are electrical/electronic, so vacuum issues would have nothing to do with this.

#4 ·
Thanks OldMarine! that is a perfectly logical explanation that I did not think of, even though I do work on AC systems and I am working on an evaporation temperature sensor on another car. I'm not as familiar with this truck and don't know where the sensor is. But in order to unclog the evaporator when it sucked up a bunch of leaves and mulch, I cut small hole in the evaporator box and covered it with a plexiglass window so I could clean it out priodically. I never saw any freezing, but it's quite possible it was freezing on the other side of the evaporator or in the middle, because that is where the sensors are plugged in and where it would likely be the coldest. that would perfectly explain why The air is getting trapped. also, I now recall that the compressor never seems to shut off, also pointing to a malfunctioning evaporator temperature sensor. Thanks for the genius response. I was getting really discouraged. I'll check it out and report back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.