Performance intake and exhaust help. - DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!
DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!  

Go Back   DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB! > DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Dakota Mods - Dodge Dakota Performance > Intake & Exhaust
Dodge Ram Dodge Durango Dodge Nitro Jeep
Diesel Forums!
Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Jeep Forum
Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Magnum
Dodge Caliber
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Magnum Forum

Notices

Old 05-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Dodge Dakota Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 Dodge Dakota
Color: White
Engine: 1994-1996 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) Magnum V6, 175 hp (130 kW)
Rep:10
ddmitchell is on a distinguished road
Default Performance intake and exhaust help.

Ok. my first questions are pretty simple. Will the K&N 57 Series fit onto 1994 3.9L Dakota? Will it require any major modifications to either the truck or kit? And is it an actual intake kit or just the K&N filter?
The last question is bothering me the most, I can't find any pictures or diagrams of the kit besides the one on the K&N website. I may just be an idiot

And I also want a nice sounding muffler for my truck that will improve flow for the extra hp (the mpg gain wont hurt either ) Give some tips and suggestions on models and brands that won't make my V6 sound like a ricer? Much appreciated!

P.S.
This is my first post and first mod to this vehicle. I'm knowledgeable enough to do these jobs (except for the knowledge I don't have ).
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Dodge Dakota Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 dodge dakota
Trim Level: sxt
Color: maroon
Engine: 1997-2003 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) Magnum V6, 175 hp (130 kW)
jamesslcx is on a distinguished road

I am not familiar with the K&N kit. I had my regular turbo mufflers put on my truck and it sounds pretty good. Quiet but with a rumble. I have added a K&N filter, went with platinum plugs, changed all fluids to synthetic and dualed my truck out with 2.5 inch pipes with large turbos and it runs much better. Of course having 3.91 gears in the rear helps. On the interstate I get 20 mpg. Next up it a hotter ignition system.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:56 AM
Dodge Dakota Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT 4X4 Automatic
Color: Director Red
Engine: 2004-2010 - 4.7
Rep:20
FireFighter1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FireFighter1

Check Magnaflow mufflers, I had one on my Xterra 4.0 and it sounded mean @ idle and didn't ever sound ricy.
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 12:41 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Dakota Club Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black/Light Driftwood
Chitowndakota86 is on a distinguished road

Flowmaster 40 series or thrush welded chamber muffler
Old 12-17-2013, 01:40 AM
Dodge Dakota Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Dakota
Color: Red and Silver
Engine: 1997-1999 - 5.2 L (318 cu in) Magnum V8, 225 hp (168 kW)
Sirfixalot is on a distinguished road

If you want a deep throaty sound, go with a set of Flowmasters, however if you want to get pulled over a lot, go to Jegs and pick up their glass packs, last I checked they are on sale, like $18. As for the filter, to be honest your not going to get to much of a change, I would say put the cash towards a set of headers or a tune, you'll get more bang for your buck.

Last edited by Sirfixalot; 12-17-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 05:52 PM

Vehicle: 2001 dodge dakota sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Craigory68 is on a distinguished road

^^ I agree I have a 01 with the 3.9 and I put a intake with a k&n filter and haven't noticed much of anything but I also put on the flow master 40 series muffler and it sounds good @ idle but not to great when your on the highway or just cruising
Old 02-23-2014, 08:34 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Dakota
Color: Red and Silver
Engine: 1997-1999 - 5.2 L (318 cu in) Magnum V8, 225 hp (168 kW)
Sirfixalot is on a distinguished road

The C man is right, I had a resonator on my old V6 Dakota and if it wasn't low RPM's, it didn't sound as deep, but with a pair of headers it sounded good throughout the range
Old 02-26-2014, 05:00 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Dakota
Trim Level: sxt
Color: green
Hump78 is on a distinguished road

I just put a Dynomax super turbo 3" cat back system on mine. It sounds good and not loud unless you are really running hard. Has a nice deep sound, and made a noticable power increase. It was just over $200 from summit racing with free shipping. Easy diy install. Taking the old off can be a pain though.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:10 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: sport
Color: blanco
exiled1 is on a distinguished road

I put this on my 2000 V-6 and it sounds like an absolute beast. It has a great rumble. I love downshifting when approaching a red light; scares the hell out of the citizens and ladies can't help but look.

Cherry Bomb 87516 Glasspack Muffler
Old 08-17-2014, 04:05 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Dakota V8
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Engine: 2004-2010 - 4.7
JoeParkerPoe is on a distinguished road

It may or may not help, but I have a 4.7L with a flowmaster 40 and it sounds really good. Check the clip out at http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YsWwn-Y7A7U
Advertisement