Dakota Forumz banner

1997 5.2, erratic idle, surging, stalling, and other nonsense

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Thunderbeam 
#1 ·
My truck recently threw a check engine light, the code it gave me was a P0123, TPS voltage high. I checked my TPS output and I was getting 2.2-2.8V, then it would hang and shoot up to 4.5v at full throttle, so I replaced it and it and it ran fine for 3 weeks. Today I started it up and it was idling at 2000 and gave me the same code. Then when I fired it back up the code was gone and it ran fine until I drove it. I got into 3rd and it stalled, I had no throttle unless I pushed the clutch in and floored it to get it going again. It’s surging and stalling like crazing. I can get it to creep around at 10 mph but once I get above 1500ish RPM it shuts down. I started testing voltages at my TPS and it’s reading normal. I spent about 7 hours today messing around with the thing and it’s intermittent, it’s never behaving the same way twice. The one weird thing I noticed is that if I push ANY of the cruise control buttons it freaks out and tries to stall. After doing a bit of research, I think I may have an issue with a short in my clock spring, the cruise and horn have been a bit wonky for the past few months. I’m out of ideas at this point, I don’t think it’s my PCM, but I’m not ruling out a possible issue with my CTM since my alarm system occasionally ignores my key fob. Has anyone had any experience with this before? Like I said, I’m baffled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.