Dakota Forumz banner

how much can a 92 3.9 auto drag around

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  OUTLAW 
#1 ·
Do you think a '92 Dakota 3.9 with 2 WD and an automatic can tow a 2800# car and trailer? Truck is in xcellant condition and I have added a tranny cooler and extra leaf springs. I just dont know how strong the 3.9 motor and auto trans. Truck just turned 134,000 miles. I only need to go 88 miles each way and only once a month. Truck runs strong now but dragging a car and trailer may be too much

anyone done this please let me know how did it work

thanks
OUTLAW

#2 ·
I think it would be pushing the limit of the engine. I tried once in my 1992 3.9 (now 5.2) to tow a 2000# car on a 1000# trailer, and it struggled way to much on hills. I have not tried it with the 5.2 yet but I don't think these A500 transmissions from the 3.9 are made to tow a whole lot. Just to note, mine is 4WD and has the 3.55 rear end gears.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks I think you are right. Since I can't afford both a truck AND trailer I decided to give up on getting my car to the drag strip and went out and bought me a boat/motor/and trailer for $500

thanks

PS my buddy has a 95 4wd with 3.9 and a 5 speed and he tows huge trailers and cars that weigh in at 4-5000 pounds with no trouble. Thats what got me wondering about mine. Oh well the H*ll with it Im going fishin'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.