Dakota Forumz banner

engine takes a long time to heat up.

8K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  MartyG 
#1 ·
I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota v6 3.9, it takes forever for the temp hand to move and when it does its a slow rate. I tried changing out the thermostat yesterday but no luck it still takes forever. On frosty mornings its killing me to wait 25 mins every morning to defrost my windshield. any ideas?

#3 ·
I can sympathize with you one that, I had a 98 Dakota v6, and it took centuries to heat up. While this was good in the summer, it was awful in the winter. I have a v8 Dakota now, heat is mediocre. Not sure if it's all Dakotas or just the ones I've owned, but heat has never been one of the trucks song suits

#5 ·
This seems to be a common issue for us! Mine is the same. I just had new water pump, thermostat installed, no change. My water pump was bad, but still no heat. Changing the EGR (wha' is that?) can help engine heat up?

#6 ·
REPLACE Heater Core! (search my other, recent threads on this subject). Corrosion in heater core prevents heat transfer. Hot water passes right through without releasing heat. Just changed mine, now have heat for first time ever! Replacement from Auto Zone is aluminum, not copper, but still works great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.