Dakota Forumz banner

05 dakota leveling kit help

6K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  dakotaff 
#1 ·
Ok,I really want to level my truck but I don't want to have to deal with to much extra maintenance. What problem am I goint to run in with a 4x4 4 in leveling kit? What can I do to combat the problems and not have to much extra wear and tear on parts? Any help would be appreciated guys!!

#2 ·
There's nothing you can do to prevent the extra wear. The bigger the leveling kit, the bigger the possible wearing of parts. Go with the smallest one, Trailmaster DL223, a 1.5" leveling kit. It's what I have and no issues as of yet, just sway bar end links.

#4 ·
I've had it on for a few years, but I'm not driving it every day, so keep that in mind. But plenty of members have kits installed, with some issues of course. Just make sure to get quality aftermarket parts when needed, not OEM crap. Moog is the brand of choice.

3G Dakota tire sizes with 1.5" or 2.0" leveling kit with zero to slight trimming
-265/75/16
-265/70/17
-265/65/18

3G Dakota tire sizes with 1.5" or 2.0" leveling kit with serious trimming
-285/75/16
-285/70/17
-285/65/18

#5 ·
Now,this could be a stupid a mature question but I guess that's what's the fourms are for...what do you mean by "trimming"? Trimming the wheel wells ? Do you know of any issues I need to be aware of before I get start to process? Do i need any other parts besides the 1.5in leveling kit? Thanks for the info man,great help!

#6 ·
Don't worry, these questions come up plenty.

This is the usual spot for 'minor trimming' for the front tire when going with larger tires.
Rear tires will not require any trimming for slightly larger tires. Going too big would also require serious cutting of the front splash guards (or removal as some have done) and front bumper fascia, which could get ugly.

The green line is what I had to trim off of my front splash guards, the bottom has an angle of about 45 degrees.
The yellow line is what I had to trim off of the front wheel well liners, both front & back sides, for the front tires.

I also did some trimming of my wheel well liners when I had 20's on my truck, due to the wider 285's. You can also see in the picture the upwards oval cutting on the wheel well liner. All my trimming was done with a Dremel, you can use anything that will cut plastic, the only material that you may need to trim. The trimming is so minor that you will never notice it with the wheels mounted.

Most of us change the garbage OEM struts up front while everything is apart, and some get new strut mounts too, but I did not.

#7 ·
Don't worry, these questions come up plenty.

This is the usual spot for 'minor trimming' for the front tire when going with larger tires.
Rear tires will not require any trimming for slightly larger tires. Going too big would also require serious cutting of the front splash guards (or removal as some have done) and front bumper fascia, which could get ugly.

The green line is what I had to trim off of my front splash guards, the bottom has an angle of about 45 degrees.
The yellow line is what I had to trim off of the front wheel well liners, both front & back sides, for the front tires.

I also did some trimming of my wheel well liners when I had 20's on my truck, due to the wider 285's. You can also see in the picture the upwards oval cutting on the wheel well liner. All my trimming was done with a Dremel, you can use anything that will cut plastic, the only material that you may need to trim. The trimming is so minor that you will never notice it with the wheels mounted.

Most of us change the garbage OEM struts up front while everything is apart, and some get new strut mounts too, but I did not.
I put 285/65/18 on my 08 today it has 3in lift but rubbing. Is there any to but a different splash guard instead of cutting?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.