Dakota Forumz banner

Trying to add 7 way harness with controller

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  MartyG 
#1 ·
I am trying to add a 7 way trailer harness to my 07. I found a harness 82209045AB online. My truck didnt come with the tow package, so I am not sure if this is the harness I need, or if it will even work. I know I will also need a brake controller. Will it hook up to this harness?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

#2 ·
Camping World did mine when I bought a trailer. One big power wire came off of the battery, and fed the inputs of two circuit breakers mounted on the wheel well under the hood. Those circuits then ran to the battery (12V) pin on the 7-way, and the other ran into the dash to feed the input of the brake controller. The brake controller output then came back out, went under the truck with the first lead, and back to the 7-way. The only other connections the brake controller needs are ground and brake switch, both obtained under the dash. All the light wires (running, turn/brake) were already tapped by my 4-way plug, and spliced again to feed the proper pins on the 7-way. Here, BTW, is the proper wiring for the plug.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
I found this set up at Amazon. Though the item is a 7-way outlet, look below at the "Frequently Bought Together" for a package deal with wiring and a brake controller. Should make the job easy ---- IF------
This set up is designed to get it's turn signal/running lights from a flat, 4-way connector, like you would use if you were renting a trailer from U-Haul. If you don't have that, you would want to buy a Dodge-specific rig to give you a 4-way plug. That rig plugs right into the middle of the connectors going to your tail lights, and a ground. Then, you have the light signals, you plug the new 4-way into the 7-way. (note you still have a 4-way outlet if you do rent that trailer!) The rest of the harness should be well-instructed. Remember you're trying to get 12V power in two circuits back to the 7-way. The first is direct, the second way goes in and out of the brake controller.
Note: The middle pin, i.e. back-up lights is seldom used. Up to you, but most TTs don't have back up lights.
http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-Towin...42134&sr=1-3&keywords=7-way+trailer+connector

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.