rebuilding woes - DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!
DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!  

Go Back   DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB! > DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - Help Zone - Dodge Dakota Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > Dodge Dakota Engine Problems > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics
Dodge Ram Dodge Durango Dodge Nitro Jeep
Diesel Forums!
Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Jeep Forum
Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Magnum
Dodge Caliber
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Magnum Forum

Notices

Old 05-03-2015, 01:35 AM
Dodge Dakota Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 dodge dakota rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: white
Engine: 1998-2003 - 5.9 L (360 cu in) Magnum V8, 250 hp (190 kW)
Rep:10
davidicus360 is on a distinguished road
Default rebuilding woes

well I took my truck to the shop pay the 1800 dollars to rebuild my 46re this guy's claiming 30 years experience.well what I always said has happened to me took my truck respecting the owner to do the work or at least finalize it and I get his no experience son and it's making a grinding and popping noise and I believe it's the pilot bearing cuz its a vibration right in the floorboard and it really vibrates the more power you put to it but if you don't get in it you won't really feel the vibration if you just drive it easy.so not only did his son finalize it he's the one that test drove it and didn't even do that properly this happened Friday I got to get it to him Monday I even had to adjust my own TV cable to get it to shift properly and I look under the truck at the bell housing and I see a little oil leak looks like my rear main seal went out because of the vibrations that they put in it I found the answer on another website everything matches up by Bration in the floorboard and the fact that that pilot bearing isn't in all transmissions chances are he didn't even know to look for it and it stuck to the torque converter the old one and he put a new torque converter in on crankshaft without pilot bearing which is causing the torque converter to not be centered on crankshaft and making vibration in the floorboard put 20 miles or so on it trying to pinpoint the problem and it's gotten worse than just that little bit of ddriving.you would think spending $1800 the highest price in town you wouldn't have to deal with that garbage if anybody else has ran into this please let me know but I am almost positive it was a lack of experience that caused his son to look over the pilot bearing and treated just like any old transmission slapped it up bolted together now it's vibrating itself apart.now I got to get him to be honest own up and fix my rear main seal also.and now I wonder if the tip of my crankshaft is being mauled by the loose torque converter
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2015, 01:50 AM

Default angry rt

what's the feelings on the stroker kit was thinking about stroking the motor to the 408 but is it worth the money that little 360 makes alot of low end torque and I would think some extras to bring out the midrange could be just as goodmy truck is fairly stock but true side pipes and a K&N air filter really brought out that 5.9
Old 05-03-2015, 04:58 PM
Dodge Dakota Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 dakota
Trim Level: sport
Color: black
Engine: 1997-2003 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) Magnum V6, 175 hp (130 kW)
niebs is on a distinguished road

ouch. thats brutal man. i feel for you. its pretty shity that you cant trust a mans word anymore.
alot of ppl have built a 408 and are very happy with it. really come down for what you want out of the truck. you can build the 360 to be very strong and reliable for a daily driver. with the 408, you'll want to make sure everything is dead on and have a good cooling system and all for daily reliability.
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2015, 06:00 PM

yeah brother it's getting pretty roughyeah I'll show if I'm with you I'd rather rebuild at 360 and make it right compared to dealing with the 408 overheating issues for 360 already runs kind of warm when you let it just sit kind of like a Corvette haven't had it really over heat though yeah come to find out that there's a pilot bearing that I'm sure it was overlooked and the vibration from the torque converter cause my rear main seal that have a small leak now so I don't know if I've posted that yet but anyways I'm glad to be on this forum and talk to some other like minded people!...I'm going to go about my day everybody have a good day at there
Old 05-03-2015, 06:02 PM

I don't know what that was and that first sentence I use the voice thing on my phone for typing but it was supposed to say yeah I'm with you on the building the 360 for a daily driver
Old 01-17-2017, 02:05 AM
Dodge Dakota Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: A 92 2wd and a 96 4WD club cab
Trim Level: LE and SLT
Color: One brown and one white
Engine: 1991-1993 - 5.2 L (318 cu in) Magnum V8, 230 hp (170 kW)
Rep:15
volaredon is on a distinguished road

there is no pilot bearing unless you have a stick shift transmission. The pilot is machined into the front nub on the converter, the converter never turns without the crank (unless it is unbolted ha ha) so no need for a "bearing". did they leave out the dowel pins? these go into the back of the block near 2 of the bolts that hold the trans to the engine.
Advertisement