Dakota Forumz banner

Carbed 360 92 Dak

Tags
360 dakota
5K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  1992dak 
#1 ·
Looking to put a carbed 360 in my 92 wondering what I'll need to make it run

#4 ·
I have found all the mounts for installing the motor and trans I just put a new carter fuel pump in the truck so I'll use that and just get a pressure regulator and cooling is another challenge as there's not many rad options for these trucks so I'll have to find something to fit but really the big thing is make theWhole thing work especially figuring out what to do for
The ignition system and distributer there's a pile of work to do just trying to figure out everything before I dive into it so if someone could turn me onto someone whose done seething similar that would be awesome

#6 ·
Well, do remember that the 5.2/318 was an option for that year, so there's factory cooling for a V8. As to the rest - I'm sure someone has, but do remember, you're doing something definately non-standard for that truck, don't be surprised if it's ALL non-standard.

!I! would have gone for a Magnum 360 stroked, upgraded to a 1996 ECU, and tuned the ECU and EFI to work with the increased displacement. For what you're wanting, I'm not sure why you think it's going to be hard - nothing there is electronic, so you can go with olde skool (Pertronix ignition), and even use the 360's mechanical fuel pump by redoing the fuel hat to be just a pickup and sock filter (bypass the pump in the tank). Use an older design regulator for the alternator, and you're in shape. Go really old school, use a points distributor, and between that and the carb you can curse it every time the weather changes *grins*

RwP

#8 ·
Lordy,get a radiator for that thing

I imagine a good 4 core radiator for this project wouldnt break the bank,sounds like you will have a good bit invested so dont cheap out on the cooling system,the proper e-fan,radiator and appropiate thermostat,should keep Her cool(that mill is going to make a good many btu's) Bye the way,good choice on the tranny:cool:

#10 ·
Hopefully it's a late model 360. They didn't put the Magnum bosses in until the middle 80's or so, and without those, you'll have the fun of making new motor mounts.

With a 727, I bet it's not got the bosses, but I can't tell you, you'll have to look.

What you may want to do also now is to pick up a Magnum 360 out of the boneyard, have the Magnum heads drilled to take the LA intake, then move the cam over to the magnum (and the intake if you really want to go carbed), use the distributor off the LA 360, and grab some 1992/1993 exhaust manifolds to use. That way you can get it to look just about stock (1991 used a throttle body, so use a 1991 air cleaner setup).

Make it a heck of a sleeper, and get the best of both worlds.

OTOH - going carbed, again, you'll get to rip all the wiring out and redo the wiring from scratch for a 1992.

RwP

#11 ·
It's a 70s la series. motor Schmaucher makes all the stuff needed to put in the truck motor mounts / oil pan / transmission mounts / headers found all that stuff to drop it int the truck and don't want it to look stock under the hood gonna keep the out side stock except the hood which I want to out a classic mopar hood scoop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.