Dakota Forumz banner

twolforth

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  BatteryAl 
#1 ·
i have a 2008 dakota with the alpine sterio and 6 disc cd changer the cd plays just fine but the cd reader dosnot display anything on the screen do i need to replace the radio.

#2 · (Edited)
There are two kinds of cd changer systems. The first is one is brand compatible, meaning the all the plug ins between the head unit and the changer are the same. This type of setup usualy has one cable from the head unit to the changer to supply power, receive audio signal, and provide display info to the head unit about the changers status. The second kind is an add on. These type changers can be added on to a factoy stock audio system or aftermarket. Since they are not brand compatible the have more wires involved. They also have a stand alone display that remote mounts near the driver to display changer status. SO, the million dollar question is, which style do you have? If you have a stand alone type changer system, with remote display, then it's malfunction would have nothing to do with the head unit. If both components are Alpine and set up in a brand compatible configuration, meaning the head unit displays the changers' status, check and see if the display of the head unit functions with the changer off. If it does, chances are your problem isn't with the head unit, but with the cable that connects the two. Probably a broken wire inside the cable that controls display readout. Good luck and let me know how you make out. AL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.