Fender interchange? - DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!
DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB!  

Go Back   DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - FORUM AND OWNERS CLUB! > DODGE DAKOTA FORUM - Help Zone - Dodge Dakota Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > 1ST Generation Dodge Dakota: 1987 - 1996 > Dodge Dakota Body and Interior Problems & Questions
Dodge Ram Dodge Durango Dodge Nitro Jeep
Diesel Forums!
Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Jeep Forum
Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Magnum
Dodge Caliber
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Magnum Forum

Notices

Old 01-16-2017, 01:35 AM
Dodge Dakota Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: A 92 2wd and a 96 4WD club cab
Trim Level: LE and SLT
Color: One brown and one white
Engine: 1991-1993 - 5.2 L (318 cu in) Magnum V8, 230 hp (170 kW)
Rep:15
volaredon is on a distinguished road
Default Fender interchange?

I think I know the answer to this but thought I would put it out there for the experts. What years can you swap fenders on these trucks?
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2017, 03:58 PM

Vehicle: 1988 Dodge Dakota SE
Trim Level: SE
Color: Mostly Blue
Engine: 1987-1991 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) LA V6, 125 hp (93 kW)
Rep:42
RalphP is on a distinguished road

Gen 1 within Gen1.

Gen2 within Gen2.

Gen3 within Gen3.

Since you list a 1991-1993 V8, I'll presume a Gen1; so 1987-1996.

Do note that some of the labeling might not be the same; if the fender is old enough or the label is a pin-through-the-metal style, you might need to drill holes or fill holes (don't know for sure about those).

Suggestion: While the fender is off, do a preemptive rebuild of the hinge pins, and be SURE to check the hinge/door welds and if there's any question, get those welds redone.

RwP
Old 01-17-2017, 01:11 AM

I did not make it out to the salvage yard as the weather did not cooperate.
wound up going on a 70 mile (each way) road trip, to a transmission parts warehouse to p/u kits for my 96 4X4, my spare tranny for this 92, and swap out torque converters for remans on both. hopefully this Saturday.
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2017, 02:34 PM

OK 60*F in January in the south suburbs of Chicago.... absolutely HAD TO take advantage and go junking yesterday.... looked among all the square body Dakotas again, by far this 87 was the best Dakota in the junkyard body wise/ so I got them... as easily as this truck came apart, I have had to fight rust a whole lot more on some trucks that are a whole lot newer. and they are white like my truck to boot....
I took one of those "garden wagons" with me with the expanded metal sides and floor where the sides pin together and can flop down to the sides, and the only problem I had was having my tools within, I stacked the fenders on top of the rails, and the yard was like a land mine with all the holes. I could not go more than 3 steps without the fender on top falling off onto the ground, I finally wound up carrying one in my hand "not" pulling the wagon, get home and I see that the pass side one is now scratched all to Hell, so I guess they will be getting painted before install anyways..... I will be going back for more off this truck for sure.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:44 PM

same story same question about doors. I think I know the answer but thought I'd better check w/ the xperts again to be totally sure
I went back this morning and got the doors from that 87 to go onto my 96. how bout reg cab vs club cab.... any difference here?
It is truly a shame that someone scrapped that 87 it's in such great shape. Anyone need a cab or a short bed?
Old 02-04-2017, 07:44 PM

I don't know about regular to either extended or quad cab; I'd have to check the parts book part numbers, and even then they may interchange although they're different numbers.

I could use a cab; problem is I'm in Louisiana *grins* and am about to replace the transmission and torque converter on my 1988.

RwP
Old 02-04-2017, 07:54 PM

i didnt think that trucks could rust down there, you guys have no winter.
the one I am talking about in the yard that is donating its parts to mine, is a 3.9 carbd, with a stick. wish I could have found it and bought it before the junk man did.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volaredon View Post
i didnt think that trucks could rust down there, you guys have no winter.
the one I am talking about in the yard that is donating its parts to mine, is a 3.9 carbd, with a stick. wish I could have found it and bought it before the junk man did.
Yah, but MY truck started off in Illinois.

The main reason why there's no frame rust is that this motor has leaked over most of its life, keeping the bottom of the body well lubed *grins*

The rockers, OTOH, are a different story ...

RwP
Old 02-04-2017, 11:28 PM

lets try this again.....my home computer needs to meet a dumpster, and I need a new one ha ha
My 92 started in Florida, IDK how long it was there, but it came to IL from Oklahoma like a year and 1/2 ago.... only rust is a hole in the dogleg of the driver fender and a small hole in the driver floorboard near the E brake cable hole... easy patch come spring.
My 96 started in Arizona but was only there til 01 when the most recent past owner bought it and had it til I got it like a month ago, it spent those 15 years in NW indiana, the bed is great, the cab ain't bad, just needs some work on the very front of the passenger rocker, along with a pair of fenders and a pass door. The door is definitely workable but it is just starting to get into the door bottom itself beyond the skin. the paint on the bottom inch of both doors is bubbled but still solid. But the frame on the 92 is spotless/ while the frame on the 96 is scaly, needs blasted and POR 15d but definitely not beyond hope.
I work on lots of '08 Fords at work that are in way worse shape body wise.... the state of IL owns a ton of them Fords, I'm a fleet mechanic for the state.
I got replacement fenders and doors from that 87 in the local yard, oldest one there but by far the most rust free.... tons of 91-96s that are nasty rusty.
Theres a U Pull about 40 miles north of me that I check out once in a while, I have been there 4x since "Black Friday"; the last time 2 weeks ago they had a 95 club cab with no doors or fenders on it that was a very solid truck, (someone else already raided it, no seats either) I hope to head up there tomorrow with my cordless sawzall to get the passenger rocker from it.... I need a little of the inner rocker at the very front too, or I might just buy a new aftermarket rocker from someone like Sherman.
Admittedly now that I got this 96 up on a lift, while it is nowhere as badly rotted as most in the local yard, the body isn't as nice as I initially gave it credit for when I checked it out (laid under it in the guys driveway) before I bought it.
Advertisement