Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Quad Cab V6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My headlights, my left turn signal, and all my gauge lamps are not working today. But every other light is. All bulbs good. Fuses good. Need a new battery temp sensor, but does that mess with the lights at all?

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
379 Posts
I don't personally have any experience with this issue (or component) but I've followed a couple of somewhat similar threads & it was suggested to the OP that the BCM (body control module) might be the problem.

People rarely followup (here) on what they found to be their issue, so I cannot say if the BCM has usually been the fix. But give the link a read & see if you think it might be applicable.

And my gut feeling is that, no, an inop battery temp sensor would not cause some lights to operate & others not to, as my understanding of that sensor's effect is to tell the PCM how to regulate the charging system. However, with that typed, I am not basing that, either, on personal experience, so I could very well be wrong.

If you know that it's bad, I'd say change it & see what happens.

·
Registered
2003 Quad Cab V6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't personally have any experience with this issue (or component) but I've followed a couple of somewhat similar threads & it was suggested to the OP that the BCM (body control module) might be the problem.

People rarely followup (here) on what they found to be their issue, so I cannot say if the BCM has usually been the fix. But give the link a read & see if you think it might be applicable.

And my gut feeling is that, no, an inop battery temp sensor would not cause some lights to operate & others not to, as my understanding of that sensor's effect is to tell the PCM how to regulate the charging system. However, with that typed, I am not basing that, either, on personal experience, so I could very well be wrong.

If you know that it's bad, I'd say change it & see what happens.
So found the problem😐mice made a nest in the open space near from left of truck, and chewed thru ALL the wires in the area😡

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
379 Posts
Ah, the old mice nest in the open space!
That will do it every time!
Seriously: Bummer about the mouse damage, but I am happy to read that you figured it out. Those goofy electrical problems can drive one bat-shit.
And good deal on the follow up--it is always interesting AND educational to find out how or what resolved a problem.

·
Registered
2003 Quad Cab V6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, the old mice nest in the open space!
That will do it every time!
Seriously: Bummer about the mouse damage, but I am happy to read that you figured it out. Those goofy electrical problems can drive one bat-shit.
And good deal on the follow up--it is always interesting AND educational to find out how or what resolved a problem.
I know nothing of wiring and electronics. So am i better off taking it to dealership? Or is it something easily done?

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
379 Posts
Definitely NOT to a dealership!
ANYWHERE but a dealership!

Seriously, though: I don't claim to be an electrician, but I am good for basic wiring.
Without seeing exactly what you have going here, but just using my imagination, I think this would be basic.
What I would do is go to Advance or Horrid Fright with a tiny sample piece of damaged wire & buy a spool of wire that is APPROXIMATELY that gauge, a bag or box of assorted heat shrink, and some solderless splices (aka "butt splices")
the appropriate size for the wire (they will probably be pink or blue)

and a wire crimping/stripping tool (they can be had affordably).

Do one wire at a time. The wires should be color coded, so find a damaged wire that is, for example, blue with a black stripe (I am just pulling colors out of my ass, so don't go by what I am saying, literally) and then cut out the entire damaged section, or if you have that blue wire severed, locate both ends of it and remove the damaged areas of both ends. Use two sections of heat shrink and put one in position at both ends of the wire you are repairing, and then take a new section of the wire you just bought, connect it to the remaining undamaged wire with a butt splice on each end (the butt splices will be self explanatory), do a nice crimp on each end of each butt splice (that will be 4 crimps in all per each piece of new wire you splice in), then pull the previously positioned heat shrink pieces over your brand new splices of your brand new wire. You are technically supposed to use a heat-gun on the heat shrink, but I USUALLY just do a quick pass or two with a butane lighter.

If it was me, I'd do one wire at a time, and after I did each one, I'd check the lights and see what was working that wasn't working before.

(Those were a whole lot of words to describe something that is actually pretty simple to do.)
If my instructions were unclear (& they very well might be) I am sure that there are you-tube videos on repairing/splicing wires.

Anyway, this is how I would personally go about it.
I am not an electrician, so someone may chime in with a much better method, & if so, do it that way.

If you do decide to farm this out, I DEFINITELY would NOT take it to a dealership.
I'd try to find, maybe by word of mouth, a good private shop & talk to them about it & see if they will give you some kind of estimate.

But again, without visually seeing this, in my mind's eye, this is quite doable.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
379 Posts
That would definitely explain a few things!

A quick clarification: I said you would need a wire crimper/cutter and I meant to type a wire crimper/stripper. But with all the $ you would save by doing this yourself, you could buy one of those real neat little "automatic" wire strippers. They are super neat & they don't cost all that much either. You could probably get everything you would need at WalMart, but I suggested Advance in case you had any questions about what you were buying. If you had any questions, at WalMart, you wouldn't get any answers.

Anyway, looking at the pictures, that should be doable. You've got super easy access to the wires connected to the light assembly itself, so that would be a virtual breeze to cut,strip, crimp, & heat shrink additional wire to.

In the engine compartment itself, the two wires in the wire set that I can see are accessible to work on. How about the other two sets for the other two lamps, have you got them located inside the engine compartment?

I do have a '03 FSM, which should have a pretty good schematic in it, so if you have any questions about what colors the wires are supposed to be for the components that aren't working, let me know & I'll go through it & figure that out & let you know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts