Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got the truck, the radio only got one station. I got a junk yard radio and it gets about 12. However, only a few of them come in strong. Before I upgrade I want to make sure its the radio and not the antennae wiring. Has anyone had this issue, and have experience getting to the cable coming from the antennae itself? I'm hoping its a single cable all the way to the radio. I pulled out the little tangs on the connector going into the radio for a tighter fit and cleaned the ground on the antennae as well as removed the antennae and cleaned the threads.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
417 Posts
You've done some great steps. Here's something else you can try. Get an ohmmeter, and you should have less than 2 ohms (hopefully almost zero) from the tip of the antenna lead to the actual whip of the antenna. Also, near-zero ohms from the outer shell (with the tangs) to chassis ground. Measure while pulling, wiggling the wire as much as you are able. Finally, you should have no continuity between the center lead and ground. If you do, you might have a nicked cable, or a screw driven through, and your signal is being bled to ground.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts