Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what’s up everyone, I bought a this Dakota last year 01 4.7l and has been overheating. I bought new lower n upper hoses, thermostat, and radiator and it’s still overheating like crazy in idle. Any suggestions? I noticed two hoses that go from the thermostat housing area that runs into the fire wall, could that be mixed up? Somewhat mechanical inclined but learning as I go.

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
755 Posts
Those two hoses go to your heater core. It shouldn't make much difference if they are switched, and certainly would not explain your overheating problem. You changed a lot, but did you check the water pump? After you start your engine cold, watch your temp gage, and as it approaches the normal range, check to see if your upper hose is starting to get hot. If the water is not circulating, the engine will overheat.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Check the water pump and see if the fan clutch is working. If you also have an electric fan, make sure it works. Check all fluids including ATF

Ed

·
Registered
17 Posts
Relieve the coolant pressure in a safe manner, then run the engine to full operating temperature. Does the coolant bubble up at the radiator cap? If there are bubbles in the coolant, there might be a head gasket leak. Does the old radiator core have a bunch of white crusty buildup on the internal tubes? The coolant passages might need to be flushed to remove blockage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts