Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I figured I may as well start a project thread now even though I haven't gotten a lot done yet. A few months ago I bought this 2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7L V8 Magnum RWD (yes, I would prefer 4WD, but in a way RWD is nice because suspension related parts like leveling and lift kits are sooooooo much cheaper lol. Not to mention in the two months I drove it I learned how to get out of some muddy messes with RWD, so it's not too big a deal). To give you a quick overview of what's on the way/planned for it: as far as general maintenance, I've got a water pump on the way that should fix a coolant leak, new drilled and slotted rotors, master cylinder, brake lines, and possibly a new battery (it was dead this morning, if it keeps happening I'll get a new one, but I hope it won't), PCM and related stuff will come eventually too. And as far as fun mods, new glass pack and exhaust tip will get put in when I get my manifold leak fixed, I'm building a custom mesh grille for it and I ordered tint film to go over the taillights (but due to a misunderstanding the stuff for the last two things is being literally shipped on a ship from China and won't be here till January 2021), and I have a leveling kit which I hope to get on tomorrow. After market tinted headlights will come in a while, along with color matched paint for the bumpers. The goal is to put a 3 inch body lift and 33s on it eventually (probably a new bed too, the current one is pretty bad), but that will be in 1-3 years.

Right now, I have two 7 inch LED light bars and some cheap blue accent lighting (which will probably have to go when I color match the bumpers), and today my decal eraser attachment for a drill came, so I took the Dodge decal off the tailgate and cleaned it up with some goo gone. I'm going to debadge it too. So like I said, I haven't got much done, but I hope to change that soon! I'll keep posting in this thread as I get things done. In the meantime, here's the few pics of the truck I have. Since the brake lines blew it's tuck in my barn for a while, so I don't have any better ones.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I was hoping to get everything in the wheel well taken apart tonight and get it back together another night with the level in and new rotors in, but I ran into a little trouble with the wheel. The driver side came off no problem as I had never tightened the lug nuts from last time I took it off to fix my inner plastic fender, the passenger side though was a different story. The breaker bar broke pretty quick and I lost the socket for my pneumatic impact, so I ended up using the tire wrench that came with the truck and a metal pipe for leverage, not the most professional thing I've ever done lol

When I finally got the wheel off everything was pretty rusty and I was pretty tired, so gave it all a good spray with penetrating oil and called it a night. Hopefully I can get it all apart tomorrow or Friday though! Until then, there it sits haha

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You bet brotha! Can’t wait to get it all together and rip around in it again!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't get much done today, everything is froze up good so a lot of penetrating oil and a lot of waiting is in store. I did get a few pics though! Rust isn't near so bad on the other side btw

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally getting somewhere! Since I'm planning on buying a chip and throttle body spacer, I got bored and started taking my intake apart, before I knew it I was all the way down to the throttle body 😂 There's a few things I need to figure out with the throttle body spacer, but it should work out all right. I got a $300 cold air off a wrecked 1500 that's in usable shape, just gotta get some kind of an adapter to get it to fit on mine and find a snug place for it to set, it's definitely on the big side and there isn't much room there.

My new water pump came, so I got out the fan cover/washer fluid and coolant reservoir, and with the help of some guys here and on another forum, got my fan and belt off. As most things on this truck are, all the bolts to the water pump are froze up with rust, so another case of penetrating oil and a lot of waiting. They aren't as bad as all the bolts and nuts on the calipers, control arms, etc though, so hopefully by tonight or tomorrow I can have them off, new pump in, and get everything back together.

Since yesterday was the last day warm enough for spray paint here, I got some fishing line and took off the front badge, taped up the clear plastic part good, and gave it a coat of high-gloss spray paint. My tape job wasn't perfect so there's still a little silver around the edges, but as long as you don't look too close it's good haha! Now I just gotta figure out how to get it back on!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the cold air on it tonight! Also got most the bolts off the water pump, last 2 are behind a wheel for the belt which is stuck with rust so more penetrating oil. Pics tomorrow when I (hopefully) get the water pump off! Also ordered a tuner chip for half price, black Friday deals are awesome! 😂

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Lol actually I’m thinking about saving up for a 2 inch lift or level 😬 gonna get all I can outta these ones and maybe get get bigger tires on the stock rims next time I need them

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My mesh for the grille came today, one month early! Really happy with the look, it came rolled up though so gotta wait a couple days for it to flatten. Now I’m debating if I should put the little stainless still bolts (they‘re supposed to look like rivets) on or not, I already bought them but it might look better without 🤔 I’ll post pics when I get it all together! Not sure if I posted a pic here before or not, but the idea is for it to look something like this

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh and the roll of smoked film for my taillights came! Both a month early! Can’t wait to get it on!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah imma do the same as the pic to my truck when I get home in two weeks from work. I like that look it’s clean and sharp. I may paint the stainless steel mesh blue to match the Color scheme of the truck....wife says blue may be too much on from of truck. We c. Can’t wait to c your lights and grill when it’s done.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah imma do the same as the pic to my truck when I get home in two weeks from work. I like that look it’s clean and sharp. I may paint the stainless steel mesh blue to match the Color scheme of the truck....wife says blue may be too much on from of truck. We c. Can’t wait to c your lights and grill when it’s done.
I'm all for accents, but I have to say I think blue mesh would be a little excessive haha. Just a dab of color in subtle places is what I prefer. And btw I would recommend aluminum mesh like mine, not so heavy and easier to work with. When I bought my mesh I was just getting the cheapest stuff I could thinking it was probably less then ideal, but now that I see it in person I don't think I could have selected anything better! Can't wait for it to flatten lol

The tint film was a mess ( I do NOT recommend it haha), but after watching a video I started to make a little progress but still had a lot of creases. Finally it worked out though and the best advice I can give is this: spray the sticky part with a water and soap mixture (this is so it will not be too sticky when your putting it on), use a firm small squeegy to get the middle/flat part on, and then (this is the important part) HEAT and STRETCH. It's the only way to get the wrinkles out, although even then I had a few small ones around the edges. Google it for more detailed instructions. The first light turned out quite well, but I'll be honest, I'm kinda dreading the second 😂 third brake light and probably the front turn signals will come too, but they shouldn't be so hard.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Looking good! I just bought new headlights n tail lights instead. I’m gonna get rid of the halos and go with a smoked look myself. I bought the Color changing bulbs to match the UFO lights I bought for the underside of my truck. Only thing is that they won’t be in until February! Ah well....that’s what u get for buying cheap Chinese junk! I may not keep them on the truck but I thought it may look cool as they change colours and move to the bass of my stereo. I like that they can be controlled with my iPhone like my gps/anti-theft system. Seems neat but will probably wear off once I realize I’m in my 40’s and not my 20’s anymore! Hahahahaha!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! Just did the other 2 taillights, it looks awesome! I ordered LED bulbs for my headlights too, I'll post pics when it's all on the truck. Can't wait to see the lighting on your truck! I want some underglow lighting for mine so bad lol! Maybe some day if I find a good deal I'll get some, who knows!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's a pic of all three taillights with the tint film! Looks great, at first I didn't like tint film, and although it's a pain in the neck to get right, once I got the hang of it it went smoothly and I love the glossy look! Definitely a big improvement! I wasted several feet of the small roll before I looked up on youtube how to do it, but I still have just enough left to do my front turn signals. Can't decide if I wanna do it or not though.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put the taillights on today, I love the look! A bulb was burnt out on the third taillight so it's not in yet, and I realized I kinda forgot about the two screws holding it on haha, I guess Ill have to cut a hole for them.

Since I got sent the wrong coil spring spacers I'm thinking about getting 2 inch ones instead, so to make sure that wouldn't make the front higher then the back, I put the front wheels back on and took it off the jacks. And according to my measurements the back sits 2 inches higher on one side then the other lol, I'll have to look at it and see whats up. Some of it might be the ground or something, but 2 inches is kind of a lot. I forgot how low the front sits, I really need those leveling spacers!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts