Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 02 Dakota 4x4 with a 4.7 and automatic in my shop right now that has a very pronounced knocking noise coming from somewhere (very hard to pin down). The owner says it's been making the noise for a year or so - it honestly sounds like a rod but the engine runs fine, the oil's not burned, no popping back in the intake, just this noise. When I get under it it sounds like it's coming from the flex plate/torque converter/front pump area. I pulled the inspection plate off looking for loose converter bolts but they were fine. I pulled the left exhaust manifold off because it had a broken bolt and found the manifold warped almost 1/8" end to end with the middle high - resurfaced it and put it back together with new bolts, didn't change anything. The noise sounds to me like something rotating (crank, etc) hitting something sheet metal like the pan, but the oil pan is cherry - no dents or bent up areas. No rockers off, chain tensioners appear OK. Truck has 179K miles on it - it just seems like this noise is bad enough that something ought to show up broken but it doesn't seem to be that simple.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
could it be spark knock? sounds like the motor has been ran hard. possibly carbon built up enough on the pistons that it raised the compression is higher then ought to be causing it to knock?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I also hear that noise on mine. I took the serp belt off and found the pulley on the Tensioner was bad, so I replaced it. Still had this noise. took belt off and and rotated the rest of the pulley's. Pronounced noise coming from the P/S pump. If i rotate it back and forth i definitely hear the noise i am seeking.
Try that see what you find. or even start the truck briefly with belt off. no noise with belt off means its a belt driven accessory.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today's adventures - I was pulling the plugs to do a compression check and found all but #1 and #8 basically finger tight. The gaskets on the plugs were crapped up and the seat area in the heads were also grundgy even after I blew them out (before I pulled the plugs). Also, following 2B MD MX's lead, I noticed the tensioner is sitting at a slight angle but I've already had too much fun with this today so that'll be part of tomorrow's fun. Oh yeah, I needed something to clean up the crap on the seats in the head and after some thought I decided to use a long 3/4" spade drill to carefully clean that area up, rotating it by hand lightly while the shop vac sucked the crap out through a piece of 1/2" vinyl tube - quite a rig but it seemed to work OK. I'll let you guys know what I find (If anything).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
those plugs arn't looking to good. i would try to check out the piston tops. pull the plug and bring the piston up and try to see the top. not sure of you shop has one or not but the best is to use a 'snake camera' type thing. you can stick that in the plug hole and put the camera in there and see a lot better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally got back to this Dakota and chased all over it with a stethoscope and found the loudest noise coming from the left cat (right at the manifold). I had already pulled the inner wheel well,then dropped the plastic shield and the front driveline and cut the exhaust about in the center - pulled the cat off and cut it apart, and could see where the core appeared to have slid down in the body about 3/8" or so and was loose. Welded everything back up then realized I forgot to put the core back in (oh, damn). Anyway, that was the big knocking noise, and now I can hear the little knocking noise coming from the right side cat. I think the customer is going to sell it, so that's his issue. Thought I'd let you guys know what I found.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, my knocking noises continue! after taking belt off again to double check and ran engine, making noise! lifters chain? not sure. but the chain set is expensive but cheaper than an engine. anyone have a part number for lifters and one for a Timing Set?

BTW its for my 03 Dak 4.7.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Well, my knocking noises continue! after taking belt off again to double check and ran engine, making noise! lifters chain? not sure. but the chain set is expensive but cheaper than an engine. anyone have a part number for lifters and one for a Timing Set?

BTW its for my 03 Dak 4.7.

Are you tripping any codes? How long has the knocking been there? Is it really a knock, or a tick?

·
Registered
18 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Cloyes-9-0393SD-Multi-Piece-Timing-Kit/dp/B000NGQ1Z4

I have this kit sitting on my kitchen table. Install starts tomorrow.
My noise is not steady. It may be steady for a few seconds then it gets erratic. It is kind of a clicking, clacking and ticking all rolled into one.
I replaced the lifters with DNJ parts from Rock Auto about a month ago. If you replace lifters you need a special tool to remove the rockers. I didn't try it without the tool and I don't know if it can be done, but the tool makes it VERY easy once you get to the lifters.
Once I replaced the lifters my noise remained. Just a few weeks ago I was driving and the belt tensioner exploded. It took out the radiator and hoses. I thought that was going to fix my noise....nope.
So..the noise is coming from the passenger side of the engine and seems to be at the front of the head right where the tensioner is. The only thing in there is the cam timing chain.
In case you don't know these engines have 3 timing chains all with hydraulic tensioners and stationary guides. The tensioners were a bad design from the beginning and since these engines tend to sludge up, the the oil passages in the tensioners clog and lose oil pressure.
Does the noise happen at idle with the truck in park? Or in gear? Does it disappear when you tap the accelerator?
Good luck and keep us posted. The install of my timing chains starts tomorrow.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Noise happens at all speeds. Has only been there a few weeks ( like 4 or so ).
Codes stored as of 10 min ago:
P0456 - Small EVAP Leak ( i knew this one )
P0441 - EVAP Purge Flow Insufficient this one is new.
P0344 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent. I am positive i know when this happened. Was super cold out about a week ago and I was going to pass a slow vehicle. When I floored it to get around, engine sputtered I backed off and waited. like a dork i never checked for codes. But engine is running fine as of now, except for noise. I'm going to try to record it and post it on youtube then run the link here.
In the mean time, I'm going to do a good engine oil flush, and change the oil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 02 Dodge Dakota 4.7 V8 as everyone else here does.. This truck has 80K miles to boot

My ticking started about 4 months ago and is driving me insane..
Im a firm believer to fix it before it brakes and I have not been able to pin it down..

The ticking sound seems to be every where as everyone else added.
almost sounded like the driver side cam shaft area, so I took off the valve cover and the sound is not any louder.
I have not taken off the passenger side valve cover yet but may be doing so in time.
It almost sounds like the front of the engine as well..

I did get a reading for a misfire on cylinder no. 3

I can hear the sound louder in the front of the truck (serp. area) and on the driver side wheel well.

keep it coming guys. I need to figure this one out.
Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey, I have had that issue and just finished fixing it, still doing some minor parts repairs in the aftermath. but start by removing the belt and spinning all the pulleys by hand. See you still hear the noise, then with the belt still off, start the engine and listen if the sound is still there. Let me know what you hear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well..it's an old post but still no answers.lol What was your fix? If his serpentine belt was off while running and the tapping sound was still audible...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts