Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay Guys,
So I’m not real sure what is going on with my 02 Dodge Dakota 3.9 but it started with the oil pressure gauge fluctuating really bad and then eventually just going out all together and then today after coming home last night I go to leave this morning and when I crank my truck it cranks up just fine with no problems and upon driving it started reving up on its own and would instantly drop back down it done this the whole time til eventually my battery gauge slowly drops all the way down to 0 and my truck completely shut off. I pulled over and it crank right up with no hesitation and then yet did the same thing. Good thing I wasn’t going no more than 2 miles down the road. But what could be the cause of this? All my other gauges are reading fine and I have plenty oil and everything else in the vehicle. I’m just puzzled as to why it shut off but started right back up and then on the way home my battery gauge bottoms out but yet the truck ran fine with no problems.
please help me!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
That's pretty bizarre.
Did you come up with any answers/solutions yet?
During all of this did it throw any codes resulting in a check engine light?
If so, that code(s) would be the first place to start.
I've never experienced anything like this, but from reading lots & lots of posts on this forum & others, I think more seasoned members would tell you to look for a loose ground some where.
I realize that's pretty broad & general advice, so I will go further & suggest obtaining a FSM that would have wiring diagram(s) that should show the location of all your grounds. I, personally, don't own a FSM; all I have is a Haynes, & my feelings are that a Haynes or Chiltons leave a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I still have to yet figure out the problem and now am actually having the problem where it will just die while going down the road no matter the speed. And no matter the time. It does it whenever it wants too. And none of my gauges read any differently.

·
Registered
127 Posts
After it dies, does it always start back up?
I had an issue with my '03 with 5.9 where it would intermittently shut down & then fire back up after a short time. (Intermittently is the key word because intermittently is hard to troubleshoot.) I threw some parts at it because I was not crazy about the notion of intermittent shut downs, but the issue devolved from intermittent to permanant. This made troubleshooting a lot easier & I determined that it was related to no-spark. Then I got into the Haynes (although as I have already typed, Haynes leaves a lot to be desired) & determined that the coil was not getting a signal from the PCM (aka "the computer") & I wound up sending my PCM to a facility called SIA Electronics in Tilden, Il., & for about a hundred bucks or so they repaired it & I have been good ever since.

There do seem to be some differences in what is going on with yours than with mine. For one, mine always failed in my driveway when I was starting it & therefore I never noted dramatic fluctuations in the gauges.
However, if you want, I can get into my Haynes & give you the procedure I used to narrow the issue down to my PCM. Typing is painful & slow for me, so let me know if you think this could be applicable for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts