Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4 is having a few problems, and I am looking for a little insight on them..

First off I havent plugged it in yet to check codes, but by turning ignition on and off a few times it gives me the code PO132, which is an upstream O2 sensor.

Half of the time the truck runs fine, but recently, especially when its rainy, when I give it gas to accelerate I get absolutely no power, and hear popping like misfires if I continue to hold the gas down. I can drive when its like this just by lightly feathering the gas. If I pull over and turn off the engine it will not start, or have alot of trouble starting. After waiting a few minutes it usually starts right up and drives fine until minutes later when it happens again. I'm guessing the bad 02 sensor is causing this.

The truck also makes a weird whurr or scraping sound when I let off the gas. The sound lasts for between 5 and 15 seconds and seems to continue longer if I am decelerating at a greater rate. Not sure what is causing this.

Lastly, I get a vibration ONLY when traveling at over 50 MPH and ONLY when I have my foot on the gas. This tells me its not my tires. Its very noticeable.

If anyone can give me some insite on these issues I'd be grateful! My plan for now is to change out the o2 sensor, and see how that goes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Let's start with the vibration. Does it feel more engine related of a vibration or driveline? If in neutral can you bring the engine RPM up to the same RPM you run at above 50mph and duplicate it? If not I would suspect a u-joint as these will typically act up under load only when they first develop or start to go.

For your wet weather engine running issues I would suspect bad wires, distributor cap & rotor or damaged coil tower. Have your engine running at idle and use a spray bottle to mist water over these items. If it starts miss/run rough or you can see sparking then you've found the problem. This can also cause an O2 code to appear so start with this. Works best if you do it at night as you can easily spot the sparks!

The whirring sound can be a multitude of items. Start by check each wheel off the ground for any dragging brake sounds/brake shields rubbing. While the wheels are up check ujoints, axle shafts, diff fluid levels ect. Also when the sound occurs AND SAFE TO DO SO transfer the vehicles weight side to side by gently swerving to see if the noise increases or disappears which will be indicative of a wheel/axle bearing that is at fault.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

When I rev the engine up to highway RPM it does not vibrate, so I will check the Ujoint.

And also the whirring type sound seems to be coming from the front left of the truck, and happens whether or not I apply breaks... I just had a manifold replaced but it sounded like that before the manifold job was done.

As for the rest i'll get back to you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts