Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Forum,

Hoping to get a little direction on this repair before the snow starts falling in my area.

Subject vehicle is a 2005 Dakota SLT 4x4, auto trans, 4.7L, 60k miles.

The issue is it does not seem to be shifting into 4 high or 4 low from 2wd. The dash "4 high" or "4 low" lights (instrument cluster lower left side near the "cruise" and "cargo light" indicators) do not light up at all, not even at initial start up. The "on the fly" drive selector knob (below the radio area) does not light up to indicate selected drive. I've tried pushing in the neutral switch (for RV towing) with a pencil tip, nothing lights up or seems to change. Vehicle seems to be "stuck" in 2 high mode.

Checked the fuse box, #15, fuse is okay. Haven't gone underneath to look around yet. Hoping for some suggestions on what to check next. Thanks for any advice.

'Vid S. in Reno, NV

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm assuming you had the Takata airbags replaced, passenger and driver. I had a problem with a short after that recall replacement. The wires haven't moved for 14 years then they do. That would be my main suspicion, or the switch itself. I have an 05' AWD with 4hi 4lo lock, I can usually hear the Diffs locking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay well it was the easiest fix you can imagine. When I installed a Sirius radio last Springtime, I disconnected the 4x4 control and apparently forgot to hook it back up. Doh! Everything works fine again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, Vid ! I just want to say that it takes a person with real character to tell a story like
that "on" them self . A lot of guys would have just left us dangling and never hearing the
result. I salute you ! John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts