Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just replaced my front right axle a few months ago a just noticed today that all of the grease in it is now all over my wheel well, anyone got any ideas on how a brand new axle can already have a tear in the boot ? I will be getting in there in a few hours and wipe it down so I can possibly get some pictures up.

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
923 Posts
It may not be a tear in the boot -- it may be one of the clamps is not secure. That would be a quicker fix, and you wouldn't have to remove the axle again to repair it. Be optimistic! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@oldmarine, thanks for shooting some optimism my way but unfortunately it's a tear. Now I just gotta figure out how ! Doesn't make a whole lot of sense because I just replaced that side a few months back, I started to think maybe it was caused by the 1.5" shock spacers but the other axel is fine and way older.

Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Rim Gear
Eye Automotive tire Jaw Sculpture Cloud
Automotive tire Tire Tread Synthetic rubber Bumper
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
923 Posts
If you saved your receipt for, or have a credit card record of, the purchase, you should be able to get a replacement or refund from the parts place you bought it from. Regardless of what the 'standard' warranty is, the boots should not tear like that in a few months. Bring the axle in with you and show them -- most of them are reasonable. If not, ask them where the nearest 'Brand X' store is (competition).

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you saved your receipt for, or have a credit card record of, the purchase, you should be able to get a replacement or refund from the parts place you bought it from. Regardless of what the 'standard' warranty is, the boots should not tear like that in a few months. Bring the axle in with you and show them -- most of them are reasonable. If not, ask them where the nearest 'Brand X' store is (competition).
Amen, I agree!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts