Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am going to add a set of ford 19 lb 4 hole pintle injectors and scrap the stock single pintle injectors. My question is will my stock fuel pump be able to handle those injectors?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
not sure, but i did find something on another forum that said the 96-01 5.2l magnum engines fuel injectors were rated at 23.2 lbs/per hour and that the only reason to go to a bigger injector was if you were adding a supercharger

so if these engines already have a 23.2lb injector, i wouldn't think putting a 19lb injector in would be better. but having 4 holes instead of one could be better than having a more fuel per hour rating

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not aware of running them a little smaller being harmful, plus with the 4 hole pintle you will be spraying more fuel, resulting in better throttle response--especially in higher gears. At least that's what i've always heard. Nonetheless I am looking to improve my mid-range to top end power. Not my plan to build a drag truck but to improve the weaknesses of the magnum engine to make a quick all around truck that can pull my pop-up or outrun the local mustangs and camaros.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I'm not aware of running them a little smaller being harmful, plus with the 4 hole pintle you will be spraying more fuel, resulting in better throttle response--especially in higher gears. At least that's what i've always heard. Nonetheless I am looking to improve my mid-range to top end power. Not my plan to build a drag truck but to improve the weaknesses of the magnum engine to make a quick all around truck that can pull my pop-up or outrun the local mustangs and camaros.
good luck and that last line is the best part isn't it! i think that is what we are looking for!! :D

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I have some of these on the way. I'll let you know how they work on my truck.

The guy I'm buying them from ran them in a 98 R/T and was able to pull 19mpg on a 450mi (approx) trip. He says they're good for stock to mild mods and definitely improve throttle response. We'll see.:D

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I have some of these on the way. I'll let you know how they work on my truck.

The guy I'm buying them from ran them in a 98 R/T and was able to pull 19mpg on a 450mi (approx) trip. He says they're good for stock to mild mods and definitely improve throttle response. We'll see.:D
so you did get them! cool. yeah looking forward to how well they work, i need anything to get better gas mileage out of my r/t. about ready to trade it in on an

oops...almost let the cat out of the bag :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
so you did get them! cool. yeah looking forward to how well they work, i need anything to get better gas mileage out of my r/t. about ready to trade it in on an

oops...almost let the cat out of the bag :rolleyes:
You were saying? Trade for what?

I saw your post on the other site; you tracked me down.:D

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just put yellow top 19 lb 4 hole ones in my otherwise stock 94. smoother idle but I have only put about 30 miles on it so far, spread in 2 trips; I don't think my engine ever truly got warmed up yet but it does seem smoother.

Dodges esp the trucks and vans are calibrated to the rich side I am hoping to tone it down just a bit... the computer will adapt somewhat by how long it keeps them open ("duty cycle")

My last Dakota I had success experimenting with other injectors (that was a '90 with TBI) and increasing MPG a bit. that truck got a solid 20 on the road, I am hoping to at least match that on this 94. seems everything I do the MPG goes the wrong way.... I may not know for sure if "this" helped, til they quit selling "winter blend" fuel. and also til I can take the 500 lbs of bricks in the bed out that are providing my winter traction either.

I prefer carburetors, I know how to play with jetting and advance weights better than this computer crap.

My neighbor has a 95 Ranger w/a 4.0 not much difference (6 CID IIRC) and he brags about his MPG, I have seen it 1st hand I have ridden shotgun to his summer place in that sardine can more than once. it is good for 24-26 MPG at a steady 70MPH. If his 4WD Ranger can get mid 20s, concieveably there's no reason a Dakota can't be made to as well.

I also own a pair of inline 6 jeep 4.0s one in a Wrangler the other in the Cherokee; both are better on gas than my Dakota... and both are 4WD while my Gen I is not.
I sold a full size 3/4 ton Dodge with a carbd 318, no computer and no O/D tranny, for this Dakota for mileage reasons, since I am driving crazy amounts of miles now a days; it has NOT been worth the change to a dakota from a full size, for the small difference I have seen so far. I like the truck that I have now,, dont get me wrong but if I can stretch out in a full size, and have the additional hauling capacity too,
that's my cake and being able to eat it.
If I didn't have such good service from my old 90 Dakota I had years ago I wouldnt have gotten another.

Don't get me wrong; I despise foreign nameplates on cars and also I call front wheel drive, "wrong" wheel drive. 18 years as a professional, certified auto tech did nothing for my disdain towards wrong wheel drive vehicles. MPG isnt the cure all/end all and I need something of a truck but stealing a slogan from our Army, I just want it the Best it can be.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey

I have a question; I am new at this forum but not to Mopars or Dodge and Jeep based forums; I know this isn't the "for sale" sections" but since we are talking alternate injectors here for our trucks, this may be the best spot to ask this;
I have 11, (8 yellow 3 gray) EV6 Ford Bosch "all plastic" style injectors that came from Clown Vics with 4.6; I bought em from CL and then realized I needed EV1s. I got my EV1 versions and these EV6s are just sitting here. They are supposed to be good but I have no way to test them.
ANY interest? I'd make someone a he11uva deal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts