Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, my 1987 Dakota 2WD SE was purchased a few months ago and has been running great up until the last week or so. It started bogging under acceleration. It would start good, then loose all power until the throttle was pushed far enough open after which power kicked back in, tires squealed and my head snaps back. You get the picture. So, I figure the Previous Owner didn't do great maintenance and start digging around. Wires, cap, rotor are abysmal and get replaced, but doesn't help. Check timing, looks pretty good. Decide to rebuild carb figuring it's the accelerator pump so start rebuilding the carb (Holley 6280) and I get two things that confuse me good.

1. The carb was missing both idle mixture screws. The housing had been drilled and it looked like they'd been gone for quite a while judging by the amount of crud built up around them. I am ordering in new screws and springs, but what else should I look for? I cleaned things out as well as I could.

2. Stuck to the bottom of the carb with a thin gasket was a block with Chrysler stamp (numbered 4275683 32292 1 ifit matters) and an air line hooked up to it (EDIT: line runs via a tee to both the vacuum tree above brake booster and to brake booster itself) Beneath this was the thick gasket that I got a replacement for with the rebuild kit. (forgive me the vague terms, but the last carb I worked on was a single barrel on a Kawasaki) I see a few flange gaskets available for the 6280, but I'm afraid to get the wrong thickness in case it messes with how the screws seat into the block. What should I get to replace the thin gasket that is between the carb and this other block?

Please help! I try to commute in this truck, and walking in the snow isn't a lot of fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:
Carb rebuild got sorted out...mostly. I found a gasket for the spacer through AutoZone, they seemed to be only ones who had it. I'm still in the dark a bit on the idle mixture screws, it's currently back in the truck without them. There were no threads in the holes that I could find and I thought i'd give it a shot just putting it back in. It idles smooth and I don't see any fuel leaking from the holes, maybe the brass bits I see deep in the holes are some sort of plug? Other than general cleaning the main changes made by the rebuild were that the floats were adjusted way high before I bent them down some.

The bogging under acceleration is only happening once the truck warms up, but it is still happening. I'm now going to look some more at timing advance and dig around for any vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
1987 Dakota carb rebuild

I myself am having a similar problem. Idles fine until choke opens up a bit. The carb kit in mine is missing a gasket - to the emissions control sensor(?). Will make one out of spare material.
I hope this fixes it. I have had this thing in the shop just about every two weeks for same problem - two different shops for that matter. :mad:
Also replaced old vacuum hoses that were cracked a couple of weeks ago and that made a huge difference! But... it only lasted two weeks before this started happening again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts