Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 88 with a 3.9...I work at O'Reilly Auto so I spend some of my day checking out prices on things. I want to change the fuel filter just to mark it off my maintenance list...my truck is an 88 by the books but seems to have some features of an 87...where is my fuel pump...tank or block? As I said before i have an 88 but I have a carb. 88 shows to have TBI...so I look stuff up for an 87..my thing is my pump in the tank or on the block...can anyone help me with locations?

also...

when im leaving a redlight when i hit the gas the truck studders a little and then drives just fine...what would that be? never gives me any problems as long as im above 5-10 mph but in that range or below it studders and boggs...carb maybe?

any help is appreciated! thank you all and merry Christmas!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Are you sure it's a carb? The TBI body looks a LOT like the 1987 carb.

What's the assembly date on the door tag?

In any case - if it's a 1988, it has TWO fuel filters - one on the frame, one (the strainer sock) in the tank.

Pump is also in the tank if it's TBI, and on the motor if it's carbed. Easy to see if you have a pump on the block - look where the pump goes on the timing chain cover and see if you've got a flat surface, a block off plate, or a mechanical fuel pump. If you have the mechanical pump, then you do have a carb. If it's blocked off, you've got TBI.

The shudder and bog can easily be due to the carburator / TBI acting up.

Welcome! I also have a 1988. I have learned how to curse in at least three more languages due to it :D:D but it's a good truck overall.

So far I've replaced the TBI, rebuilt the front brakes, rebuilt the back brakes, replaced the booster and master cylinder, replaced the fuel pump, rebuilt the front suspension, replaced the seat, and done a tune up on it (I have the parts for another tune up, just need to get motivated to get out there and do it.)

I will suggest that you need to find the local U-Pull-It type yards and haunt them for parts. Some parts fit from 1987 to 1996, others are a bit more specific.

RwP

1 - 2 of 2 Posts