Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a "88 Dakota 4x4 with only 80,000 mls on it.It's in good shape but the speedo doesn't work.I replaced the instrument cluster and it worked for a week , then died.It had a new cable from the control unit.
Any suggestions as to what might be wrong ?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
My servo/speedo cable is about 1/4" to 1/2" too short - if you jostle the cable housing at all under the hood, it pulls far enough out of the speedo to quit working.

I have to take it loose from the speed control servo and push it back up towards the speedo to get it back to working.

The fix, which I just haven't done yet, is to pull the instrument cluster, pull the inner cable out of the housing, take it loose from the servo, flush it with some cleaner (brake cleaner, the low-VOC kind, seems to work), and then ... use something like this Dorman kit http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-1066-03368.aspx?origin=keyword and make a new cable, about 1/4" to 1/2" longer (I'd see how far the end can go into the speedo first, and make it THAT much longer.)

That's what's planned for my truck, anyway.

RwP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Speedo stopped due to servo...
Anyone have any luck bypassing the servo with a single long cable from sensor to speedo head or removed the speed sensor altogether and screwed the cable right into their trans like older cars were made?
Cruise control gears are stripped out on a 1988 Dakota I bought, just wondering if I can get its speedo close to working properly or till I find the cruise unit cheap at least? Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts