Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 Dodge Dakota LE that tends to sit for long periods of time. After starting the truck one day, I noticed that the radio would not play and the wrong time was displayed on the radio face. The "on-off" switch and the rest of the controls had no effect. I went ahead with using the truck and about a half hour later the radio started working. I set the time and stations and everything was fine until the truck was allowed to sit. I found the same problem next time I tried to use the truck. Exact same symptoms continued for several months and went away after driving for a while. I just wrote it it off as being dirty contacts in a relay that powers the radio. Eventually, I lost the clock numbers. I suspect the radio power relay finally gave up the ghost.
Can anyone verify my theory or even better provide info on how get my radio to play?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Might also be the 5a "keep alive" fuse in the fuse box; have you tried removing/reinstalling all the fuses 3 or 4 times each? (That will wipe the contacts, polishing off oxidation and restoring a good electrical contact).

Most radios won't turn on properly without that in good shape.

See the attached fuse box diagram. I'm thinking of fuse 14.

RwP

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. I never expected such a quick reply. Thanks Ralph.
I checked the fuse and it was OK. The picture you sent showed that the fuse was for glovebox, courtesy, key, and the "ignition switch." I'm gonna have to take a look there when the weather breaks.
Do you have access to all the wiring diagrams? Are there any relays that directly feed the radio as I surmised?

Again, Thanks Ralph.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
In reverse -

No, no relays. That fuse is it. That, and the line off the ignition switch.

Yes, but it's part of the factory service manual and paper; I would not want to scan the whole damn thing, when you can buy the paper off eBay used or the PDF new from Bishko Books (several retailers for Bishko, Summit Racing being one; or straight from their web site.)

How did you check the fuse?

That fuse is for "Glove Box, Courtesy, Key-In and Ignition Switch Lights, Power Mirror, Radio & Clock Memory". Some of the Dakotas have a light at the ignition key to light it up; the courtesy light under the passenger side is an option; the glovebox light may or may not be an option, but every one I've seen in the boneyard is burned out. And not everyone has power mirrors, so you may not be aware of a problem with it until the clock and radio act up.

Try removing/reinstalling it about 4 or 5 times. You DID pull it and check it with a multi meter, right? Not just eyeball Mk I? (Sometimes they'll fail open where you don't see it - they're not blown - but they're open. Or intermittently open.)

RwP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I confess I didn't use a multimeter. I pulled the fuse, wiped it with an alcohol wipe, utilized the ol' Mk 1 eyeball and put it back in. I'll use a meter tomorrow.
Thanks for the info on Bishco Books. I had not known of them before.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Bishko - the K is important grins

They're the licensed reproducer for whatever name Mother Mopar is using today ("Stellaris - For those days you need to feel more alive!")

RwP

·
Registered
26 Posts
For Ralph: Always impressed with your knowledge of Dodge/Mopar problems. Am going to pull my fuse #14 and jack it in and out a few times, as my radio has been acting on and off occasionally as well as my dashboard lights have also been blinking on and off occasioinally, and they're all on that same fuse. Thanks!.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts