Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short, I have a 2wd Dakota I bought as a parts truck for my 87 4x4, that I sold last year to get my current 99. I the truck has a bad engine and trans, bc I took the heads off for my 87. My question is does anyone know what size radiator I can put into the 2wd to work with an LA 5.9? I was thinking about using 2 small radiators, mighty max brass radiators or similar. I know the 89/90 is shorter than the 91ish. this is going to be a budget muscle truck. any help is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The factory Extreme Cooling radiator (Spectra CU982) will fit and it's big enough if you put enough electric fan in front of it. Shucks, it's the heavy radiator for a 1991 V8 also ...

IF you can find an all metal one, that's even better! (No, you're not getting mine; I'm about to get mine fixed first and replace my aluminum/plastic one!)

RwP

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know summit racing sells the crown radiator that's all aluminum and is black. its a 2 core radiator. I might get one for the fun of it. I am not a fan of spectra as the last time I got a ad from them for my bmw it had a hole before I put it in and it clogged.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The Spectra number was more so you could have a cross reference.

The Mopar number was 4426880 - if you want to cross to that.

Biggest problem in an early Gen1 is that it's tight in there; if you put a bigger (thicker) radiator in, then you may have water pump/radiator interference. It's tight enough with that radiator in there.

RwP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts