Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I started my truck this morning, the ABS light and the Brake light came on, additionally the brake and headlights did not work. A month ago the wipers stopped working. Brakes are working fine. The fuses look/test good. Local mechanic thinks it is a steering wheel switch issue (power not running through switch). I think that it is a ground issue (maybe in the steering wheel switch). HELP. Where can I get electrical parts (like the steering wheel switch) for an 1989 Dakota? It is a convertible Dakota and interior got wet in the summer rains....so although dry now may have corrosion. Is there a common connector for wiper/lights/brakes warning lamps? Where can I get a good 1989 Dakota electrical schematic?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You can get the best schematics from the factory service manual. You can sometimes find them on eBay in paper; but you can also order a new disc (reasonable at about $40) or paper (Expen$ive, about $150 buck$. Too much for my blood) from the authorized reproducer, Bishko Books.

Which steering wheel switch are you talking about? There's the dimmer switch, the ignition switch, the turn signal switch, the wiper switch ... each is separate in our trucks.

RwP

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am need to discuss with my mechanic to confirm, but 90% sure that he is talking the turn signal switch. He believe that it works like a power fused relay. Again wiper and turn signal (both in the steering column) are not working....which along with good fuses in the fuse block, we are focused on the steering column.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Still having electrical issues? Don't forget to check fusible links on driver side a top the fender well. They are notorious for intermittent problems and failure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts