Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My turn signal indicator will not reset after a turn (signal stays on). I have pulled the steering wheel off, checked the turn signal cam which appears to function ok, but I cannot determine how the turning of the steering wheel should cause it to release. There is a little spring loaded stud which extends from the center ring of the turn signal switch which looks like it should engage the back of the steering wheel ring somehow but I don’t see what it should engage with To cause it to turn with the wheel and release the signal cam. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
That "stud" is most likely the horn button.

Is your column tilt or non-tilt? They're different, so I'd like to use the proper image from my 1988 FSM to show you.

But yah, the "cam" is broken most likely.

RwP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The horn stud is the larger one further from the center and brass colored. The one I am curious about is connected to the center (cream colored) ring and is pointed, I think something may have broken off, but I don‘t know what it should look like, as it appears it should slide into a slot on the back of the steering wheel and spin with the wheel. This is a non tilt wheel truck.
405A92BD-986C-4561-9D2F-86F73D95C5BD.jpeg
@

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The horn stud is the larger one further from the center and brass colored. The one I am curious about is connected to the center (cream colored) ring and is pointed, I think something may have broken off, but I don‘t know what it should look like, as it appears it should slide into a slot on the back of the steering wheel and spin with the wheel. This is a non tilt wheel truck. View attachment 3119 @
There's actually TWO studs for the horn; voltage in and return.

However, that yellow portion doesn't seem to be in the pictures I can find.

That white "cam" section is still available, albeit after market - 1990 DODGE DAKOTA 3.9L 239cid V6 Turn Signal Cam | RockAuto

According to the FSM, it's either the fingers bad on that, or the cancelling bushing bad; since the bushing isn't listed separately in the parts list, I'd just grab the cam and rebuild that switch to see if that fixes it.

If not, you may be looking at locating a good steering column to rob the parts out of.

(If you do THAT, I'd consider a tilt column; the switches are all different, but at least the whole turn signal switch is available ... (If you do that, order the cam also; everything's becoming NLA.)

RwP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts