Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! Glad to be here! Ive been all over the net looking for answers and are coming up short. Hope you all can help me please!

I*have a 1991 3.9l LA block dakota and I just replaced the distributor after the reluctor plate broke off the stem of the old distributor. I placed the new distributor near exact how the old one came out. It started up but it was off timing I believe. Ran like mud. Rattled and knocked like it was to far advanved when I accelerated. I want to confirm and be sure the timing is/was correct (which im sure it isnt) but i cant find ANY info anywhere on how to set timing on this engine. I know that years 92 and up you cant set it. I know its suppose to be set at 10°before tdc but I do not know where the reference points are to set it. I cleaned the balancer off and the timing cover so the degrees are visable. When using a timing light to set it how do I do it? Ive set it on other vehicles before. This dodge stuff has me stumped. I usually loosin the distributor bolt and use my light and advance or retard the timing by turning the distributor by hand and using my light. Can anyone help? I dont see a point or a marking to line my degree marks up with to get 10°. Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance!

What I went ahead and did was I warmed the truck up to optimum operating temperature and then disconnected the coolant sensor. I then set the 10° mark at the center of the tube looking thing that floats over the balancer across from the timing cover marks(in the picture). The truck starts good and runs decent and idles fine right now. It pulls decent as well...just wanna make sure I did it right.

**a picture is attached of what my balancer degree marks look like and the timing chain cover markings. Hope this pic helps someone explain to me how to set timing.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,418 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Good to have you with us, I hope you enjoy the board! :)
Hopefully you will get some answers in your other thread.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Blue! Im sure this forum is a wealth of knowledge and Ill refer to here a ton over time. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured it out guys. Never mind. My current timing that I done on my own "guessing" is incorrect. I set it at Zero by mistake instead of 10* btdc. The way it looked to me I believed it was correct and set at 10* but ehhhhhh.. I was wrong. Ill set it correct tonight. Should run like a scalded dog now tho!! :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
welcome to the site. glad to see you figured it out. setting timing can be a pain sometimes. really got to watch it. glad you found the issues and that it didnt cost anything to fix it haha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts